Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Funeral prayer (Janaza prayer)

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Re: Funeral prayer (Janaza prayer)
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »
Wa 3alykum assalam bro Mohammed

You stated
in my humble opinion Believers are obliged to pay Zakat irrespective of their 'profit' condition.

I do agree with that to a certain point. I did say that the Quran does command zakat to be paid at all times which only apply to times in which a person makes a gain and not a loss or remains zero. How does one pay zakat on a loss or zero gain according to verse 6:141

I think you mis-understood what I was trying to say to bro Good logic.

I was indicating that verse 3:134 does not speak about zakat. As he had translated verse 3:134 by using the word zakat when in my humble opinion is not speaking about people who pay the zakat. The word zakat does not appear to be in the Arabic.

Here is the verse

TRANSLITERATION
Allatheena yunfiqoona fee assarra-iwaddarra-i walkathimeenaalghaytha walAAafeena AAani annasiwallahu yuhibbu almuhsineen

YUSUF ALI
3:134Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity; who restrain anger, and pardon (all) men;- for Allah loves those who do good;-

The verse in my humble opinion would be either relating to those who spend in charity(sadaqa) or for the cause of God in times of ease and times of adversity.

Zakat and charity are not the same. Zakat is obligatory in matters of gain(profits), where as charity is something that is voluntary.

Please see the following verses for verification

58:12 O ye who believe! When ye consult the Messenger in private, spend something in charity(sadaqatan) before your private consultation. That will be best for you, and most conducive to purity (of conduct). But if ye find not (the wherewithal), Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
58:13 Do you fear that you will not give in charity(Sadaqat) before your consultation? So when you do not do it and God has turned to you (mercifully), then keep up prayer and pay Zakat and obey God and His Messenger; and God is Aware of what you do.

The reason I stated zakat is dependent on the profit or gains one makes, is because according to verse 6:141 a person is expected to pay what is owned from a gain(harvest) in a certain time. This is a command. This is obligatory and not voluntary like sadaqa(charity).

So how can one pay his/her dues on no/zero gains or a loss according

6.141 "He it is Who produces gardens trellised and untrellised, and the date-palm, and crops of diverse flavour, and the olive and the pomegranate, like and unlike. Eat of its fruit when it bears, and pay the due (Arabic: Haqqahu) on the harvest day (Arabic: Yawma Hasadihi), and be not extravagant. Indeed, He does not love the ones who are extravagant"[/color]

Please see the excerpt below to for more verification that this "haqqa" in verse 6:141 is referring to zakat and not sadaqa.

ZAKAT IS INCOME / GAIN BASED AND NOT SIMPLY SAVINGS BASED

The common understanding that Zakat is payable simply on savings once a year at 2.5% seems untenable from the Quran. Zakat from the Quran clearly exhibits regularity, much akin to prayers. We have a clear indication from the following analysis of the verses that Zakah is payable on 'gain' or 'income'. This is irrespective of whether the income is fortnightly, monthly, or annual.

We note that Zakah (Haq - the due) should be given on the day of harvest. This does need not be annual.

The day of harvest brings one their income or gain. It is not the period of harvest which is the focus as this can change from period to period and is not an exact science but the day of yield which in today's terms would mean one's income or pay day.

"He it is Who produces gardens trellised and untrellised, and the date-palm, and crops of diverse flavour, and the olive and the pomegranate, like and unlike. Eat of its fruit when it bears, and pay the due (Arabic: Haqqahu) on the harvest day (Arabic: Yawma Hasadihi), and be not extravagant. Indeed, He does not love the ones who are extravagant"

Please note the word 'Haqqahu'. It is used as 'what is due' in verses: 17:26 and 30:38

017:026
"And give to the kindred their due rights (Arabic: haqqahu), the needy, and the wayfarer. But squander not (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift"

030:038
"So give to the kindred their due rights (Arabic: haqqahu), the needy, and the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek the Countenance, of Allah, and it is they who will prosper"

It seems clear that the 'Haq' in 6:141 is simply not a charitable gesture. Charity for the groups mentioned have been comprehensively captured in verse 9:60 cited above which dealt with the various categories of those who should receive 'Sadaqat' with no mention of any specific day. Here, in verse 6:141, a particular point in time is clearly stated when something is 'due'.  This is the day of 'harvest' or as in today's terms, this could be an income, or a gain in investment etc.

Hope that clarified what i was saying

Salam