Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 33:37 interpretation

Offline Student

• View Profile
33:37 interpretation
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:34:07 AM »
Salaamun alaykum,

Is Dr. Shabbir correct in his assertion about 33:37 interpretation:

Behold, (O Prophet) you did tell the one to whom Allah had shown Favor and to whom you had shown favor, "Hold on to your wife and be mindful of Allah. You seek to conceal in your heart what Allah intends to reveal. You are afraid of people whereas it is more appropriate to fear Allah." But when Zayd had observed all the rules and divorced her, We gave her to you in marriage. So that henceforth there may be no blame on the believers in respect of spouses of their adopted children when they have come to the dissolution of their union. And the Commandment of Allah must be fulfilled. (Contrary to many erroneous translations, the entire quote in this verse is addressed to Zayd since Messengers fear none but Allah (33:39). Also the admonition of the Prophet to Zayd clearly indicates that he, and not his wife, was at fault)

In other words, did he got the quotes right (red text)? If not, what part of the sentence is Zayd addressee and what part is towards the Prophet (pbuh)? The correct demarcation.

Thanks,
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: 33:37 interpretation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=33&verse=37#(33:37:1)

Reading it word-by-word, it is quite clear in my opinion, that Dr. Shabbir's interpretation would not make sense. Te text (again, in my opinion) again, makes it clear that while the Prophet did fear the people on this particular issue for a short time, this mistake was swiftly remedied by him, after revelation from Allah (swt).
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »
Thanks, anyone else have any views especially people well versed with Arabic and grammar? I've searched the forums but Br. Joseph also seems to side with majority but no one have raised this viewed on the ayah to him before, so curious if Dr. Shabbir's interpretation hold any water?
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »

but Br. Joseph also seems to side with majority but no one have raised this viewed on the ayah to him before, so curious if Dr. Shabbir's interpretation hold any water?

Shalom / peace.  I don't think it is fair you give the impression that brother Joseph sides with the majority.......my view is he sides with the best argument. It may happen that his conclusion after analysis supports the majority argument ......also I don't think that he or some others like me in this forum place much credibility to Dr. Shabbir's arguments...

See below some of brother Joseph's reasons.....
http://quransmessage.com/expose/main.htm

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
Walekas salaam,
Br Duster,

Sorry I didn't mean anything negative when I said Br Joseph argument aligns with the majority. I should have phrased it better but what I was curious to know was what/how would he point out Dr. Shabbir's translation/placement of the quotes are incorrect. I believe the key to easily disprove him is to be familiar with Arabic. That's what I meant here.

I don't blindly stick to any one translator and I'm not a fan of Dr. Shabbir either. Just his translation stood out from 50+ which drew my attention and for a change his translation was aligning with majority of traditional Muslims not on this ayah but on infallibility of the Prophets.

http://islamawakened.com/quran/33/37/
Thanks,
~ Student