Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Trying to understand the meaning of "yatlūna" or recitation

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Trying to understand the meaning of "yatlūna" or recitation
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:45:18 AM »
Salaam
This word "recitation" occurs numerous times throughout the Quran.

In 3:113
(Abdul Haleem)
But they are not all alike. There are some among the People of the Book who are upright, who recite God’s revelations during the night, who bow down in worship,

(Yusuf Ali)
Not all of them are alike: Of the People of the Book are a portion that stand (For the right): They rehearse the Signs of Allah all night long, and they prostrate themselves in adoration.

-Sura Aal-E-Imran, Ayah 113

Are we too recite the Quran in arabic or a language we understand?
I have never understood what "recitation" actually means and for an act that is thought so highly of by God Almighty I cannot seem to find any seperating between reading the Quran and reciting the Quran.

Any clarification will be truly appreciated.

Peace and regards

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Re: Trying to understand the meaning of "yatlūna" or recitation
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »
Asalamu 3alykum miracle114

You asked
Are we too recite the Quran in arabic or a language we understand?

I would definitely encourage a person to read the Quran in a language they understand despite the inaccuracies they contain. This Insha'Allah will give the reader the gist of the message of the Quran. I would encourage this to be done first and possibly many times.

Of course at the same time, one may always attempt to memorize the Quran in Arabic while reading the translation. I find this also gives the reader the ability to understand the Arabic a lot better as words become more and more familiar

The word "Quran" means recitation or the reading.

To understand the recitation that was brought down with the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) it would be only logical to understand it from a language/s that is well know to the reader. Of course and without a doubt the Arabic would be the ultimate source and should be referred to for any inconsistencies and if able of course studied.

The word "yatluna or "tatluna" in my humble view means read/observe/recite depending on context.

The signs/wisdom contained in God's verses are not only established through Arabic . You may see God's signs in His verses by reading the translation in English or other languages.

I have never understood what "recitation" actually means and for an act that is thought so highly of by God Almighty I cannot seem to find any seperating between reading the Quran and reciting the Quran.

I would argue that both reciting(Arabic) or reading(translation) would classify as a good deed if trying to understand the Quran for a purpose to please the Lord. If one cannot read and understand Arabic then at times reading a translation is the only way to understand the Message.

As for reciting or reading the Quran during prayers I would think that is a different topic. Please see the related articles below[1]

Hope that helps Insha'Allah

Peace

On reciting the Quran in Arabic without full understanding
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=550.0

Why do we say 'Qul' (say) in our Prayers?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=crr45qgm6hnuitkqs5eu5etp82&topic=51.msg134#msg134

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Re: Trying to understand the meaning of "yatlūna" or recitation
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »
Salaam brother hamzeh
I agree with your key points about both reading with understanding and reciting without has potentially dual benefits if done purely for God the Almighty.
I also agree that reciting salaah in arabic is definitely more satisfying and does seem to get the tears flowing more easily.
My ultimate goal would be to recite in arabic with complete understanding.
Jzk for the links. Thoroughly enjoyed reading.
Peace and regards.