Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: translation of 17:16

Offline ilker

• View Profile
translation of 17:16
« on: December 10, 2017, 06:32:44 AM »
Salamun alaykum brothers and sisters,

What do you think about the translation of 17:16 ?

Did Brother Joseph talk about this ayah before ?

I don't understand especially the part i wrote in bold (cause Allah (swt) doesn't command evil things!):

"And when We intend to destroy a city, We command its affluent but they defiantly disobey therein; so the word comes into effect upon it, and We destroy it with [complete] destruction."

Take care inshaAllah :)

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: translation of 17:16
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »
As in, Allah (swt) commands the affluent to be righteous, BUT they ignore Him, so He destroys them for their sins.
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »
Salamun alaykum

Alhamdulillah, brother wanderer thanks for your comment. I thought about what you said but i'm not sure it feels right. Because the beginning of the ayah is: "When We intend to destroy a city/country ... " So, those people must have already deserved the punishment...

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »
As in, give the affluent and the leaders a second chance to be righteous, but they fail and are destroyed.
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)