Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Clarification of Verse 4:3 and 4:127 and Multiple Marriages

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Clarification of Verse 4:3 and 4:127 and Multiple Marriages
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
Dear Mr. Joseph,

I have some queries and the issue of multiple marriages:

1)     In 4:3, it is orphan (yateem only) who can be BOY/GIRL without a father who will be  supported marrying their widowed mother (and  their property if any can be delivered after they mature)?
2)     In 4:127, it is orphaned woman (yateem nisa) -  (which can be assumed as widow without children who must be given marriage /Ujoor)

4:3 = 4:127 seems to be inter-related to me but really unable to arrive at firm understanding.

Please can you assist my understanding further, if possible.

Regards.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Clarification of Verse 4:3 and 4:127 and Multiple Marriages
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

You are correct, the word 'Yateem' in 4:3 is not gender specific. However 4:127 has an important phrase ''...God gives you ruling about them (fihinna) and what is recited to you in the Book..."

Now it is clear given the word 'fihinna' (which can only be a reference to women) that a ruling was specifically asked concerning women. This is supported by the term "yatama-nisa" which means orphan woman. First, it is clear that only 'women' can be married and not 'girls'. This puts an end to child marriages.

Verse 4:127 is talking about a few matters:

(i) Regarding orphan women (yatama-nisa) and giving of the correct portions. The verse clearly talks about the desire to marry them yet not giving them proper portions (In a way to compromise them or take advantage of them). This could be a clarification to verse 4:4 where all women should be given proper dower (orphan women and free believing women). However, this does not exclude orphan women which are also included in the Arabic of 4:3 which have the potential of being compromised. An orphan (yatama - generic) can also be a woman and not just a girl or boy. So both 4:3 and 4:4 are covered in the clarification of 4:127.

(ii) 'wa' (and) those weak / vulnerable / oppressed children (mus'tadafina wildani) who have the potential of being compromised (their proper due not given to them). This could be a clarification to verse 4:5-6 where guidance is clearly given so that the 'sufahaa' (unwise, foolish, ignorant or those of limited understanding) be appropriately protected.

(iii) 'wa' (and) orphans are not compromised and justice (qist) is done to them. This can easily be related to verse 4:3, 4:5 and 4:6.
regarding vulnerable orphans.

Many simply relate 4:127 with 4:3. But this, in my humble view is an unwarranted restriction of interpretation. As you can see in the above clarification (i, ii, & iii), the above can be split up into at least three areas.

So in summary, verse 4:127 is clearly instructing believers not to take advantage of male / female orphans or orphan women (in marriage), to give them their proper due (This could be marriage gifts / inheritance etc). An important portion of the surah deals with justice, proper proportions, inheritance etc.

None of these verses are saying you can ONLY marry in these circumstances. This is akin to introducing something into the Quran, that God has not said. The verses are dealing with justice and not marriage allowance.

We cannot introduce our world views into the text otherwise we risk making our desires into God. This is akin to idol worship as you will agree.

"Have you seen him who takes his desires (passion, impulse, lust) (Arabic: Hawahu) for his God (Arabic: Illahahu)? Will you then be a protector over him?"

I hope this helps, God willing,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
Dear  Mr. Joseph,

Does Verse No. 2:220 pertaining to yateem

Mohd. Assad translation :

Quote:

" And they will ask thee about [how to deal with] orphans. Say: "To improve their condition is best." And if you share their life, [remember that] they are your brethren: [206]"

As again orphans here 2:220 ( male orphans ) are to be assimilated in the family ( as brother); similarly can 4:3 may mean to assimilate orphan women in family ( as wife - provided dower has been paid as ordained in 4:127- 4:4 )? That will ' improve their conditions 2:220) ".

I have also  noted in 4:3 , some translation has added (other) women in bracket which is not in Arabic script. Can this 'Nisa' to mean  orphan women instead of others ? ( considering topic is pertaining to improvement /supporting orphans).

Please assist to clarify.

Best Regards

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:16:40 AM »
Salamun Alaikum brother.

To address your first point:

The word 'ikhwan' in 2:220 is a masculine plural noun. Masculine plural nouns in Arabic are not restricted just to men but also include women.  In general, this is a simple rule of Arabic grammar.

For example, in 6:87 the Quran says '(To them) and to their fathers, and progeny and brethren: We chose them, and we guided them to a straight way' or in 3:103 God says "and remember with gratitude God's favour on you; for you were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His Grace, you became brothers". It would be implausible to conclude that only men were guided by the term 'brethren' (ikhwan) in 6:87 or that only men had their hearts joined in love and the women were left with rancour in their hearts in 3:103. Therefore, masculine plural nouns in Arabic also include women.

To address your second point:

If the Quran wanted to say marry other orphan women in 4:3 it would have said so as it has been textually represented in 4:127 (yatama nisaa). As it is absent in 4:3 and present in 4:127, that means that the 'nisa' referenced in 4:3 is most likely to be from the category of free believing women. When 'al' is encountered in this way in Arabic with a noun as in 'al nisaa' it becomes 'definite' noun and means 'the' (i.e. the women) which is most likely a reference to a specific category of women in my humble opinion. The Arabic doesn't say 'yatama nisaa' (orphan women) which may indicate other women that may be in one's protection.

I hope that helps, God willing.

In the end, only God knows best.

Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell