Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Disbelievers? Verse 3:159 - "they would have dispersed from round thee"

Offline Yahia

• View Profile
Salam 3allaykum brothers and sisters,   :D

It was by the mercy of Allah that thou wast lenient with them (O Muhammad), for if thou hadst been stern and fierce of heart they would have dispersed from round about thee. So pardon them and ask forgiveness for them and consult with them upon the conduct of affairs. And when thou art resolved, then put thy trust in Allah. Lo! Allah loveth those who put their trust (in Him). (3:159)

I was wondering what is meant by "they would have dispersed from round thee". Would they have become disbelievers? Or literally just leave the presence of the prophet?
When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Dear brother Yahia,

Wa alaikum assalam

The verb 'infadda' simply means to disperse, break-away, separate or to scatter, implying they would have left the presence of the Prophet. In the context of the verse, this does not automatically mean that they would have become disbelievers.

Please also kindly note how the same verb is used in verses 62:11 and 63:7 to imply the action of dispersing from a particular place / location.

It remains noteworthy that even the Prophets were expected and reminded to pass on the message / conduct their affairs in the best possible way (even though the situation may be testing), so that the audience would remain inclined to listen / take heed. A similar sentiment of preaching in the best possible manner can also be noted in verse 20:44 as an instruction to Prophet Moses as to how to interact with the tyrant Pharaoh with gentle speech, implying no harshness, frustration or rudeness in any form. [1]

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCE:

[1] SPEAK A GENTLE WORD
http://quransmessage.com/articles/speak%20a%20gentle%20word%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell