Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Shall I Stop My Additional Prayers

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Shall I Stop My Additional Prayers
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »
Salaam,

First of all, thank you for the research you have done and in creating an informative website. Alhumdulillah, it has been an eye opener. Though being born a Muslim, all that was learnt and understood was through pass-down of information.

In this past week, I've learned so many things from your website along with others who are only teaching from the light of the Quran. I have stopped doing all the sunnat and nafl and other extra prayers (tawareeh as well). Though reading through all of the websites, there are still slight differences in understanding the exact salats (some says 3 and some says 5 daily prayers, some says 2 rakats for each prayers, the timing of the salat, etc). But the more I read, the more I feel disturbed. Am I doing the right thing to give up all those other prayers? I am in need of your help in this regards as you know and understand the Quran more than I do.

Sorry for the long email. Look forward to hearing back from you. May Allah (SWT) give you his rewards and his blessings for helping those that are not rightly guided.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Shall I Stop My Additional Prayers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:31:01 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam

Please kindly allow me to share my humble response succinctly. I would not recommend giving up on any additional / supererogatory prayers for your Lord, particularly if you are already in the routine and find much connection with your Creator during your worship.

Praying to our Lord in as much as possible can arguably only be seen as a positive thing, even though as you have gathered, certain prayers are not compulsory. Perchance, it may actually be more beneficial for one when they seek their Lord’s countenance when they remain fully cognizant that it is supererogatory worship and is being exclusively performed all for His name sake. (And remember the name of your Lord and devote yourself to Him with (exclusive / complete) devotion – 73:8 )

I would also take cue from verse 73:20, where the prophet and his companions were told to regulate their worship in so far as for it not to impinge on their daily lives negatively. However, the remit of expected devotion / any religious duty remains in as much as one is able ('So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able' (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum) 64:16)

Finally as you’ve probably already noted, I believe in the 5 prayer system [1] which I’ve supported / argued numerous times from the Quran and on various platforms. My humble view with regards 'Tarawih prayers' is also shared below [2].

025:077
"Say, "My Lord would not care for you if it was not for YOUR PRAYER (* Du’a) (to Him)..."
* Du'a - a prayer, a supplication.

074:042
"What has led you to this burning / hell?"

074:043
"They will say 'We were not of those who prayed! (min'al-musalin)"

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] PRAYERS
http://quransmessage.com/articles/prayer%20FM3.htm
[2] TARAWIH PRAYERS
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1315.0
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell