Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Practice of prefixing a given name with the name 'Muhammad'

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
Practice of prefixing a given name with the name 'Muhammad'
« on: November 29, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »
When a boy is born it is common practice to prefix the given name with the name 'Muhammad'.

The use of the name 'Muhammad' is traditional, in deference to the prophet. It would not typically be the name used to refer to the child, and it usually only manifests itself in official documents.

Would the use of 'Muhammad', in this traditional sense, be in violation of God's command to make no distinction between prophets?

Offline ilker

• View Profile
Re: Practice of prefixing a given name with the name 'Muhammad'
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:48 PM »
Salam

In my opinion it wouldn't. But also it shouldn't be one of the ways of making distinction between prophets. So, what really matters is the "intention" of that person naming the child. By the way, as a reminder: one of the children of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was named Ibrahim. 

I also think "making distinction between prophets" has two meanings:

1. Attributing superiority to one prophet above others in the sense of his characteristics, morals or his closeness to Allah (swt).
2. Believing in one prophet and denying the other as mentioned in 4:150 :

"Indeed, those who disbelieve in Allah and His messengers and wish to discriminate between Allah and His messengers and say, "We believe in some and disbelieve in others," and wish to adopt a way in between..."

Take care inshaAllah.

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
Thanks for your reply. My thoughts as follows:

1. The Quran does not name the prophet's children.
2. I am not saying that a child could not be given the name Muhammad, Ibrahim or similar. I am only referring to the use of Muhammad as a prefix. For example, would the name 'Muhammad Ibrahim' be problematic?
3. With reference to your two meanings of 'making distinction between prophets': I wonder if use of prefixed name 'Muhammad' would be in breach of point 1.

Thanks

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »
Salam,

Personally, i don't think it will breach point 1. As a said earlier: "what really matters is the "intention" of that person naming the child." Allah (swt) knows best.

Take care inshaAllah.