Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Use of the word 'Eternal' in article 'Time & Space'

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
Use of the word 'Eternal' in article 'Time & Space'
« on: December 31, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
The use of the word 'Eternal' in the info-graphic bothers me. Link here: http://www.quransmessage.com/articles/timeandspace%20FM3.htm

The reason being that 'Eternal' would seem to imply perpetual continuity within the boundaries of time, and a major point of the article is that God does not exist within that which He created - i.e. time.

May I suggest 'Uncreated and Timeless' as an alternative?

Actually I am not very sure if even Timeless is appropriate! A thesaurus does not seem very helpful somehow as all similar words are either a measure of, or in relation to, time.

Or perhaps it is better to just use 'Uncreated' and add nothing more. IMO this would be most appropriate, and yet I also understand that use of 'Eternal' is to illustrate the meaningless nature of time in relation to God.

I know this is just an exercise in semantics and I apologize for being overtly pedantic.

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
Re: Use of the word 'Eternal' in article 'Time & Space'
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
I meant 'overly' not 'overtly'. I am too much in the habit of typing out forum messages and editing them later, which I can't seem to do in this forum.  ;D