Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Salaat Practices / Ritual

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Salaat Practices / Ritual
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »
Related Article:

PRAY AS WE HAVE TAUGHT YOU HOW TO PRAY - USING VERSE 2.239 AS SUPPORT FOR A FIXED FORM OF PRAYER
http://quransmessage.com/articles/pray%20as%20we%20have%20taught%20you%20how%20to%20pray%20-%20using%20a%20verse%20to%20support%20a%20fixed%20form%20of%20prayer%20FM3.htm

QM Forum Moderator.

Dear Mr. Joseph,

As regards to clarification 2:239 you say: 

"Therefore, it is clear from the above verse that the 'mushrikeen' (pagans) did practice 'salat' (prayers), but it amounted to nothing more than 'mukaan' (whistling) and 'tasdiyatah' (clapping).

What the ex-pagans (i.e. new believers) had been 'taught' was a new form of monotheistic 'dhikr' which also encompassed 'salat' and not a specific form"

My query is :

1)  It is noted that chapter 73 is third in  Quran revealing order. In 73:20 Prophet is ordained to establish Salaat. Which salat he is ordained to establish at initial stage of ministry/revelation of Qur'an, as he has no idea of previous scripture or Millat Abraham ( which initiated bow/prostrate as part of salaat on Muslims).

Does this mean the salaat at initial stage was - any ritual  or Salaat has different meaning as far as this verse is concerned. I also noted Allah ( ST) will accept any call as long as He is remembered in morning and evening (6:52) irrespective of form of ritual/prayer. 

2) Does Zikr means repeating /remembering  Allah's name (encompassing salat) or exploring signs of Allah as

a) we have been instructed to use our AQL / reason otherwise we will be treated as cattle or creature worst than beast.
b)we have been advised to travel throughout the world to check the end of people due to not thinking over the signs of Allah ( natural events and its observation).

I also note  Zikr has been given advantage over ritual prayer hence what will be meaning of Zikr?

And my understanding of  calling/repeating /present form of slaat where reading verses without understanding will be like cattle who  hears the soud but not call ( 2:171)

I hope you got my queries and hope to receive your thoughts.

Best Regards.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Salaat Practices / Ritual
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »
Salamun Alaikum.

Answer to Question 1:

There is no proof from the Quran for the assumption in your statement "It is noted that chapter 73 is third in  Quran revealing order". This assumption is based on Islamic secondary sources and not the Quran. In fact, the earliest historians even debated what the first surah of the Quran was. Please see article [1] below.

It is clear from the start of Chapter 73 (Surah Al Muzzammil) that the Quran's verses were already with them (73:4). How many and which ones we do not know. But we know it was not complete (73:5). So the aspects of prayer could have already been revealed and they could well had already formulated a salaat routine. If they were standing up major parts of the night reciting the Quran, it is very likely that there were more than a few verses in circulation.

With respect, I hope you will see that your question has only arisen because of the assumption that has been made which is not based on the Quran (i.e. Chapter 73 is the third Surah in the revealing order)

Answer to Question 2:

Zikr includes all forms of remembrance of which the formal salaat is a part. To remember God continuously in all that we do and to thank him undoubtedly is the most noble practice. However, this does not mean that salaat prayer is not an important and required component of 'Dhikr'.

Answer to Question 3:

One of the conditions of the salaat prayer is that you know what you are saying (4:43). Please see related articles [2] and [3] below.

(1)   FLUID BEGINNINGS OF ASBAB UL-NAZUL
http://quransmessage.com/articles/asbab-ul-nazul%20FM3.htm

(2)   DO WE HAVE TO PRAY IN ARABIC?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/do%20we%20have%20to%20pray%20in%20arabic%20FM3.htm

(3)   WHY DO WE HAVE TO RECITE THE QURAN BACK TO GOD IN PRAYER?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/recite%20quran%20back%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps, God willing.

Your brother in faith,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell