Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Moon Sighting

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Moon Sighting
« on: June 04, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »
Asalamu 3alykum Dear Moderators, if you may delete my previous post of this topic that would be great as it was not clear. Thank you

Asalamu 3alykum brothers and sisters

As I been searching through the internet I been finding conflicting testimonies from different websites on the moon sighting of the new moon crescent.

For example Saudi Arabia said they called their authorities yesterday June 2, 2019 to start the sighting on June 3, 2019 and also asked anyone of the locals to provide their testimonies. So on June 3, 2019 the officials according to websites and many platforms have concluded that they saw the crescent of the moon.

On other websites such as www.moonsighting.com they show that their is NO sighting from Saudi Arabia and most other countries if not all. "Saudi Arabia:
Not Seen: MCW member Mr Abdul Kadir Mulla from Jeddah reported: No Moon has been sighted in Madina Munawwara on 3rd June.
"

They also show that for example USA, Canada have NOT seen the moon, however most people if not all I know are celebrating EID tomorrow. Tuesday June 4, 2019.

www.crescentwatch.org is another website that says "All reports thus far have been negative (the moon was not sighted), including ones from numerous highly experienced sighters across Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and South America (all where naked-eye sightings were considered extremely improbable). We are continuing to receive and assess reports now in North America and will post updates here accordingly."

I'm not sure what is going on, but I find it a bit confusing. If the websites are being biased and choosing their own authorities then something is wrong, if they are telling the truth then again something is wrong with the other authorities in other countries. Not sure.

I'm not to sure if those who sight the moon in a era like today should at least try to post a picture of the sighting of the moon if they claim to see it?

From where I am from the people are celebrating Eid tomorrow but the moon seems to be NOT seen according to the websites crescentwatch.com and moonsighting.com. I however went out with my little knowledge of where to look and I did not think I seen anything but again I'm not familiar with the process.

I mentioned this to some friends and it seemed to stir up some controversy which I really don't want to. So might have to fast in secret tomorrow as I don't know why but people take it seriously if you tell them to think.

I wonder if I'm going to have to start sighting the moon for myself and see how the process works.

I guess maybe Ramadan is an individual gathering as everyone should sight the moon for themselves till the end of the month if this is how the world is going to be where some countries seem just to declare it without proof(maybe there is but I have not seen them on English websites) and some countries which seem like they are celebrating the EID seem to show no proof either of the moon crescent and the English websites confirm no sighting yet despite that are still celebrating EID.

2:185(part).... whoever of you witnesses the month shall fast it...

It maybe that every house hold should observe their own moon sighting, which leads me to the thought that why the EID celebration is not stipulated in the Quran. God knows best

It seems like the sighting has turned into politics

Crescentwatch.org

Moonsighting.com

Egypt also seemed to have differances some seen it some did not
http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/6/71179/Moon-sighting-for-Shawwal-When-will-2019-Eid-al-Fitr

Salam

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Moon Sighting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 07:45:12 AM »
Salaam Hamzeh,

I have over several years had a different Eid from my family because of moonsighting differences of opinion. I remember once where everyone was celebrating with  their Eid and I was fasting.

Quite simply, I have always observed my Ramadhan moonsighting in the region where I live.

I use a U.K website which has data from the HM Nautical Almanac Office. This provides 'links to access Astronomical & Calendarial Sheets and maps for Solar & Lunar Eclipses, First Sighting of New Moon data and Time Zone maps. The dynamical information covers rise/set times, azimuth and altitudes, Islamic Prayer Times, First Sighting of New Crescent Moon, Moon Phases, Equinoxes & Solstices and an Almanac giving solar, lunar and planetary data for a specific location and time.'

The data is so comprehensive and you can look up years ahead. For example for the New Moon data they show:

A Easily visible
B Visible under perfect conditions
C May need optical aid to find the crescent Moon
D Will need optical aid to find the crescent Moon
E Not visible with a telescope
F Not visible, below the Danjon limit

So it showed F for Monday 3rd June and A for Tuesday 3rd so today is my last fast.

I openly tell my family and friends that I use information from the from here.

The same place is used by Muslims and mosques to calculate prayer times so why not moonsighting data? So I would encourage others to get their data from a local Astronomical Observatory.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 04:36:11 PM »
Wa 3alykum assalam sister Truth Seeker

I think today I have experienced what you want through. May God have mercy on you.

I will look into that Insha'Allah and see how that works.

Today actually I went out and seen the crescent moon Masha'Allah it was soo beautiful.

I saw it for about 1hr. I spotted it about maybe 10 minutes I think after sunset.

It started to decline around the area where the sunset was but a little to the left of the sunset. About 1hour later I had not seen it as it might if defended below the horizon.

It was really visible to me today Masha'Allah but I am not sure if it was the first sighting or the second day as yesterday I was not looking in the correct direction.

I showed it to some family as well but the argument was its too visible and that if it was the first sighting then it should only last about 10 min and then disappear.

Insha'Allah i will try to observe the next new moon crescent and see how it works.

If this was all it was supposed to be I do not see any difficulty Masha'Allah.

I pointed it out to some kids as well and they all even spotted it Masha'Allah. They really liked it

Below is a video of how to sight a new crescent moon for those who are interested.

How to sight the new crescent moon
https://youtu.be/iD4gf67n9cc

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 04:40:56 PM »
I also took a picture. I'll share it as soon as I post it Insha'Allah

I tried to post some pictures yesterday about some other websites but it did not go through.

Does anyone know if I can upload a picture from a phone?

Thanks

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 12:51:01 AM »
Salaam

You cannot post pictures directly here but if you can upload them to a website or file sharing site, you can then share the link.

Also, I have contacted Jospeph Islam so if you want, you can email them to Joseph Islam and he can post them here.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 04:07:36 AM »
Thank you Truth Seeker

I thought instead of troubling brother Joseph ill share a link here.

I'll see if this works.

It was a little more clear and observant in person than the picture when I saw the crescent.

https://www.justbeamit.com/gqbrd

Salam

Offline QM Moderators Team

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 04:48:36 AM »
Thank you Truth Seeker

I thought instead of troubling brother Joseph ill share a link here.

I'll see if this works.

It was a little more clear and observant in person than the picture when I saw the crescent.

https://www.justbeamit.com/gqbrd

Salam

Dear Hamzeh,

The above link appears broken.

Please email your pictures to quransmessage@gmail.com and one of the members from the mods team will be happy to share it for you here.

Thanks.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »

Offline s1c4r1us

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 12:03:33 AM »
Asalamu 3alykum Dear Moderators, if you may delete my previous post of this topic that would be great as it was not clear. Thank you

Asalamu 3alykum brothers and sisters

As I been searching through the internet I been finding conflicting testimonies from different websites on the moon sighting of the new moon crescent.

For example Saudi Arabia said they called their authorities yesterday June 2, 2019 to start the sighting on June 3, 2019 and also asked anyone of the locals to provide their testimonies. So on June 3, 2019 the officials according to websites and many platforms have concluded that they saw the crescent of the moon.

On other websites such as www.moonsighting.com they show that their is NO sighting from Saudi Arabia and most other countries if not all. "Saudi Arabia:
Not Seen: MCW member Mr Abdul Kadir Mulla from Jeddah reported: No Moon has been sighted in Madina Munawwara on 3rd June.
"

They also show that for example USA, Canada have NOT seen the moon, however most people if not all I know are celebrating EID tomorrow. Tuesday June 4, 2019.

www.crescentwatch.org is another website that says "All reports thus far have been negative (the moon was not sighted), including ones from numerous highly experienced sighters across Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and South America (all where naked-eye sightings were considered extremely improbable). We are continuing to receive and assess reports now in North America and will post updates here accordingly."

I'm not sure what is going on, but I find it a bit confusing. If the websites are being biased and choosing their own authorities then something is wrong, if they are telling the truth then again something is wrong with the other authorities in other countries. Not sure.

I'm not to sure if those who sight the moon in a era like today should at least try to post a picture of the sighting of the moon if they claim to see it?

From where I am from the people are celebrating Eid tomorrow but the moon seems to be NOT seen according to the websites crescentwatch.com and moonsighting.com. I however went out with my little knowledge of where to look and I did not think I seen anything but again I'm not familiar with the process.

I mentioned this to some friends and it seemed to stir up some controversy which I really don't want to. So might have to fast in secret tomorrow as I don't know why but people take it seriously if you tell them to think.

I wonder if I'm going to have to start sighting the moon for myself and see how the process works.

I guess maybe Ramadan is an individual gathering as everyone should sight the moon for themselves till the end of the month if this is how the world is going to be where some countries seem just to declare it without proof(maybe there is but I have not seen them on English websites) and some countries which seem like they are celebrating the EID seem to show no proof either of the moon crescent and the English websites confirm no sighting yet despite that are still celebrating EID.

2:185(part).... whoever of you witnesses the month shall fast it...

It maybe that every house hold should observe their own moon sighting, which leads me to the thought that why the EID celebration is not stipulated in the Quran. God knows best

It seems like the sighting has turned into politics

Crescentwatch.org

Moonsighting.com

Egypt also seemed to have differances some seen it some did not
http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/6/71179/Moon-sighting-for-Shawwal-When-will-2019-Eid-al-Fitr

Salam

Have you ever wondered if we should follow a luni-solar calendar instead? Also, why should we uphold sectarian feasts, there is nothing in the Quran about this eid al fitr.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 03:44:41 AM »

I have noticed that there is a strong emphasis on Eid celebrations which heavily influence some family members to change their fasting to fit around 'family unity'

The pressure can be overwhelming for some people who end up compromising which is shame because fasting comes first and foremost in my view.