Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Gentle Speech is Best

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Gentle Speech is Best
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »
RESPONSE GIVEN BY JOSEPH ISLAM
[Please contact Joseph Islam for further details of the original thread]

I know at times some posts can prompt one to be curt in their response. Some opinions and questions can be frustrating no doubt. However, most on this forum (if not all) strive to understand the wisdom from the Quran and we all pray to live by the teachings of the Quran to the best of our endeavours God willing.

I recall a narrative in 20:44 where God advises Prophet Moses. Despite Pharaoh's corrputed soul, despite his despicable savagery, brutal and heinous crimes, despite the fact that he would never repent nor would he ever accept the truth, God STILL asked Moses:

020:044
'But speak to him with gentle speech / nicely (Arabic: Qawlan Layyinan) , perhaps he may take heed of the reminder or fear'

Those who are familiar with Arabic will know the word 'layyinan' from its root means to become soft, smooth, plain, delicate, tender, flexible, malleable and mild.

Even the greatest of tyrants deserved to be spoken with gentle speech when delivering the message of truth. Surely there are none that we meet in our daily lives or on this forum that would compare with Pharaoh.

"Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knows best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance"

017:053
"And say to My servants (that) they speak that which is best; surely Satan sows dissensions among them; surely the Satan is an open enemy to man"

The Quran's wisdom is clear for us to read and ponder. We should speak with politeness, with utmost kindness and invite all using the best standards of human speech.

May God help me to learn and understand this wisdom and all those that sincerely seek the path to truth.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell