Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 30 Para's / Juz of the Quran

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
30 Para's / Juz of the Quran
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:09:47 AM »
Assalamolaikum

Some claim that the 30 para's were made under the supervision of the Prophet. Others claim that the surah splits were done after the demise of the Prophet. Which one is correct?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: 30 Para's / Juz of the Quran
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

It is important to note that the division of the Quran into 'juz' (plural: ajza) / 'paras' (30) is different from the division of the Quran into surahs (Chapters - 114).

I do not concur that the division of the Quran into 30 paras were actioned under the supervision of the Prophet. There is no proof for this. However, we do have the Quran in its surah format which is attested by a mutawwatir recitation of the Quran and the earliest manuscripts.

The earliest manuscripts show no markings whatsoever to distinguish paras / juz. They only show divisions into surahs. The Quran clearly talks about the Quran being divided into parts but this has nothing to do with paras / ajza.

"And (it is) a Qur'an that We have divided, that you may recite it to mankind at intervals, and We have revealed it by (successive) revelation"

Many ajza (plural of juz) stop in-between surahs cutting the theme of the continuous dialogue.  We are warned not to divide the Quran into parts in accordance to our will. This was a practice that started in some manner even at the time of the Prophet.

015.091-92
"(So also on such) as have made Qur'an into parts (as they please). Therefore, by your Lord, We will surely question them all about what they used to do"

Therefore, I cannot concur with either of your propositions as correct. The Quran was fully transcribed in the life of the Prophet and it is my opinion that the surah format was also completed within the life of the Prophet. The division of the Quran into the juz / para format is a later invention.

Please see the following related article:

THE COMPILATION OF THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/the%20compilation%20of%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell