Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Disciples believe and surrender but soon ask for proof?

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
Disciples believe and surrender but soon ask for proof?
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
[Muhammad Asad]

5:111 AND [remember the time] when I inspired the white-garbed ones: Believe in Me and in My Apostle!" They answered: "We believe; and bear Thou witness that we have surrendered ourselves [unto Thee]."

5:112 [And,] lo, the white-garbed ones said: "O Jesus, son of Mary! Could thy Sustainer send down unto us a repast from heaven?" [Jesus] answered: "Be conscious of God, if you are [truly] believers!"

5:113 aid they: "We desire to partake thereof, so that our hearts might be set fully at rest, and that we might know that thou hast spoken the truth to us, and that we might be of those who bear witness thereto!"

According to the translation above, does it not seem strange that the Huwareen (Disciples of Jesus AS) are described as those who believed and surrendered but soon after they seek a "proof?"

We read the same explained here

[Dr Shabbir]

5:111 Recall, I told the disciples in the Gospel, "Believe in Me and in My messenger. They said, "We believe, and be Witness that we have submitted."

5:112 When the disciples said, "O Jesus, son of Mary! Is your Lord Able to send down for us a Table Spread with Heavenly sustenance? Jesus said, "Be mindful of Allah's Laws if you are believers." (Establish the Divine Order on earth and that will ensure heavenly provision in abundance and equity (7:96)."

5:113 They said, "This is exactly what we want. So that we live with a contented heart and know that your System is truly workable. And that we may be witnesses for the future generations."

[Parwez] http://www.tolueislam.org/Parwez/expo/expo_005.htm

(111) Allah further said to Jesus: "When I asked your companions through the revelation given to you 'Believe in Me and in My Rasool'"; they said "We believe and bear witness that we are Muslims."

(112) Without the establishment of the Niz'am-e-Rabubiyyat, humanity is degraded since people are generally compelled out of necessity to barter their self-respect for bread, the companions of Jesus said to him, "Is it not possible for your Rabb to establish such a system"? ********* Jesus replied: "It is possible, provided you have trust in Allah and adhere to His Laws."

(113) They said: "If this done, we will be satisfied and we will bear witness that you have indeed spoken the truth to us."

Which then, is a better rendering? Thanks.

Mubashir

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Disciples believe and surrender but soon ask for proof?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
According to the translation above, does it not seem strange that the Huwareen (Disciples of Jesus AS) are described as those who believed and surrendered but soon after they seek a 'proof?'
Mubashir

Salamun Alaikum brother Mubashir,

The answer to your question can be found in verse 2.260 where Prophet Abraham asked for proof even though he had believed. Prophet Abraham gives the reason as a reassurance of heart. (liyatma'inna qalbi)

002:260
"When Abraham said: "Show me, Lord, how You will raise the dead, " He replied: "Have you no faith?" He said "Yes, but just to reassure my heart." Allah said, "Take four birds, draw them to you, and cut their bodies to pieces. Scatter them over the mountain-tops, then call them back. They will come swiftly to you. Know that Allah is Mighty, Wise.""

I note a parallel with the above verse and the one you have shared that Muhammad Asad has translated closer to the Arabic text (5:111-113).

However, there is an important point that I feel should be noted and one which is apparent from these verses.

The clearer the message and proof, the greater is one's responsibility and answerability. This is clearly seen in the verse where God says that the disciples punishment (i.e. answerability) would be greater if they now disbelieved after seeing clear signs.

005:115
"Allah said: "I will send it down unto you: But if any of you after that resisteth faith, I will punish him with a penalty such as I have not inflicted on any one among all the peoples."

This sentiment is mirrored in other verses too where the concept of greater clarity = greater answerability is established.

For example, one notes that the punishment of the Prophet's wives would be doubled if they were guilty of unseemly conduct (33:30). There is even a threat to the Prophet.

017.074-75
And had We not given you strength, you would nearly have inclined to them a little. Then We (would) have made you taste double (punishment) in this life, and double (after) death and moreover you would have found none to help you against Us!"

We should all attempt to remain conscious of the manifestation of truth that has come to us and our capacities to understand it.

The verse also confirms the capacity to disbelieve after belief which is confirmed in other verses as well.

003:144
"Muhammad is no more than a messenger: many Were the messenger that passed away before him. If he died or were slain, will ye then Turn back on your heels? If any did turn back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allah; but Allah (on the other hand) will swiftly reward those who (serve Him) with gratitude"

004:137           
"Those who believe, then reject faith, then believe (again) and (again) reject faith, and go on increasing in unbelief,- God will not forgive them nor guide them nor guide them on the way"

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
Re: Disciples believe and surrender but soon ask for proof?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:31:20 AM »
Thanks Brother for your explanation. Makes sense.

Looks as if the disciples were expressing their belief more from their tongues than their hearts. Therefore, they asked for some evidence to reassure themselves.

Regards.

Mubashir

UPDATE BY QM FORUM MODERATOR

13th March 2013

This thread is now closed and a direct link to this post is now available at the dedicated Q&A page.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/q&as%20FM3.htm

Thanks.