Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is Azar Prophet Ibrahim’s biological father according to Quran?

Offline baandaar

• View Profile
Is Azar Prophet Ibrahim’s biological father according to Quran?
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »
Asalamu Alaikum Brother Joseph Islam,
I hope all is well. I really enjoy Quransmessage.com and thank you very much for your hard work and dedication.
I have been taught since childhood that Azar is the father of Prophet Ibrahim PBUH. I recently came across an article written by Shias that stated that Azar is not the biological father of Prophet Ibrahim PBUH rather his sire and His father name was Terakh as it is not mentioned in Quran.
The Shia site provides as evidence this verse
“O our Lord! grant me protection and my parents (Walidayn) and the believers on the day when the reckoning shall come to pass. (Qur’an 14:41)”
.The Shia Site states that Azar was a polytheist and Prophet Ibrahim will never pray for a Polytheist.
Is Azar Prophet Ibrahim’s biological father according to Quran?
May Allah reward you

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is Azar Prophet Ibrahim’s biological father according to Quran?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 08:20:08 PM »
As-salamu alaykum Bandaar,

Verse 6:74 makes it absolutely clear that Prophet Abraham's biological father was Azar.

006:074 (part)
"And when Abraham said to his father (Arabic: abihi) Azar,"

This is primary evidence direct from the Quran. This is the starting point. No argument, narrative sourced outside the Quran (including Islamic secondary sources), interpretive lean can deny a clear verse of the Quran.

With regards as to why Prophet Abraham prayed to his father, verse 9:114 makes this clear.

009:114
"And the request of forgiveness of Abraham for his father was only because of a promise he had made to him. But when it became apparent to Abraham that his father was an enemy to Allah, he disassociated himself from him. Indeed was Abraham compassionate and patient."

I hope this helps, God willing

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline baandaar

• View Profile
Re: Is Azar Prophet Ibrahim’s biological father according to Quran?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »
Thank you very much brother for the clarification.
JZK