Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Mount Sinai

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Mount Sinai
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »
Assalamu alaykum, Dear Brother Joseph!

While searching information about the true location of Mount Sinai I encountered your website and got very interested in your article 'MOUNT SINAI '“ BEHIND THE TRANSLATIONS'.
Actually, there are two issues in your article that attracted my attention: the first '“ geographical and the second '“ linguistic. I read about the discoveries of Mr. Wyatt regarding Jebel al-Laws and it seems to be the true location of Mt. Sinai. I hope that the Saudi government will allow there researchers.
Now the second issue.
First of all, I should say that I don't know the Arabic language (except reading and basic grammar rules). The mater is I was very surprised to find out that the term At-Tur doesn't mean mountain in its primary sense (however, most scholars imply the Mount Sinai).
It seems that the word at-Tur is mentioned it Quran 12 times: Al-Baqara: ayahs 63, 93, An-Nisa': 154, Al-A'raaf: 143, 171, Maryam: 52, Ta Ha: 80, Al-Mu'minun: 20, Al-Qasas: 29, 46, At-Tur: 1 and At-Tin: 2.
However, the actual word 'Sinai' in Arabic appears only 2 times (if I am not mistaken): 23:20 and 95:2. (reference to the 12 Tribes of Israel).
Commenting on the Ayat 95:1-2 you assumed that the two terms 'at-Tur' and 'Sineen' might refer to different locations. But what about the Ayat 23:20 that you failed to comment in your article?:

Washajaratan takhruju min toori saynaa tanbutu bialdduhni wasibghin lilakileena

And a tree (olive) that springs forth from Mount Sinai, that grows oil, and (it is a) relish for the eaters
Here the two words toori saynaa seem to correlate (probably based on geographical or other proximity) and this is the second place in Quran where the word 'Sinai' is mentioned.

So what do you think, can the word at-Tur be interpreted as 'mount' in the Ayat 23:20?

Thank You and Best Regards
Assalamu alaykum!

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Mount Sinai
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »
Peace to you.

The inherent meaning of 'Tur' is not a mountain, but in its strict classical definition denotes a particular place where one hovers around it, or a particular location which one draws near to it and does so repeatedly. This interpretation is also supported by the Quran which as you will know, I have endeavoured to argue for in the article.

Sinai may well be a reference to a particular mount and this assertion would not challenge the interpretation of 'Tur' (as argued for in the article) by virtue of 23:20. There is no mention of 'mount' in the Arabic of 23:20 as you know. A more literal translation would be something like:

"And a tree (that) springs forth from 'turi' 'saynaa' (which) produces oil and a relish for those who eat"

Now given the proximity of the two genitive nouns, this still may indicate 'Turi' as a particular place located on or near a mountain called Sinai. This would remain in tandem with what I have argued for in the last section of the article where I have said by virtue of 95:1-2, that it may be possible. 

"This is quite possible. The Quran neither categorically confirms this nor denies this"

"Despite the possible synonymy, it is also quite possible that they are two separate locations and not necessarily synonymous"

Unquote

Both sets of verses 95:1-2 and 23:20 would remain inconclusive to be perfectly candid and with a view to maintain intellectual honesty.

The reason I found 95:1-2 more pertinent to use as an example (as opposed to 23:20) was due the opportunity to allow for an interpretation of the juxtaposition of the four nouns presented in 95:1-2 (Fig, Olive, Tur and Sineen). This supported the assertion that they were all separate entities and need not be synonymous.  However, it is fully appreciated that a place can be part of another place and yet still be addressed by separate nouns. (e.g. Los Angeles is in California but are two separate nouns).

Either way, by virtue of the Quranic text,  I would humbly not find support to interpret 'Tur' as a 'mount' by itself. It may be a particular location on a mountain or one near it, but it is not a reference to a mountain in itself. 

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell