Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Traditions of Men - A Small Lesson from the Bible.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Traditions of Men - A Small Lesson from the Bible.
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:18:40 AM »
RESPONSE GIVEN BY JOSEPH ISLAM
[Please contact Joseph Islam for further details of the original thread]

Peace to you all.

As we all know, the majority of Muslims today regretfully interpret the Quran through the lens of the Islamic Secondary Sources rather than studying the Quran from within its own context. There is no doubt, strong adherence to the traditions as collected by men centuries removed from the time of the Prophet's ministry but attributed to the Prophet of God. Many traditions are blindly followed without question.

With regards Prophet Jesus (pbuh) and the Children of Israel, we read in the Quran a succinct narrative which outlines Jesus's ministry to the Children of Israel.

003:050
"And (I come) confirming that which is between the hands (Arabic: bayna yadayya) of the Torah, and so that I make lawful for you some of that which was forbidden to you. I come to you with a sign from your Lord, so keep your duty to God and obey me"

The above verse's reference to lifting certain prohibitions may be a reference to prior commandments, or those traditions that were self imposed by the Children of Israel and not necessarily decreed by God.

Despite the nature and context of the prohibition, from the Biblical narrative it seems clear that at the time of Prophet Jesus's (pbuh) ministry, the Jews had undoubtedly added to their practices and made their practices increasingly difficult by adhering to the traditions of their forefathers.

This is no different from the situation that Muslim's find themselves in today. A very revealing dialogue is captured in the Biblical sources between Jesus and the Pharisees.

Most (if not all) on this board will be well versed with the Biblical Pharisees who were not only a school of thought but invariably a powerful political and social movement that also existed at the time of Prophet Jesus's (pbuh) ministry.

THE GOSPEL OF MARK
The 'Earliest' Synoptic Gospel (Based on consensus)

MARK 7 Verses 1-9
"The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were "unclean," that is, unwashed. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders). When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles"

So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, "Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with 'unclean' hands?"
He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

"THESE PEOPLE HONOUR ME WITH THEIR LIPS, BUT THEIR HEARTS ARE FAR FROM ME. THEY WORSHIP / REVERE (Greek: sebomai) ME IN VAIN; THEIR TEACHING ARE BUT RULES TAUGHT BY MEN"

YOU HAVE LET GO OF THE COMMANDS OF GOD AND ARE HOLDING ON TO THE TRADITIONS OF MEN"

And he said to them: "YOU HAVE A FINE WAY OF SETTING ASIDE THE COMMANDS OF GOD IN ORDER TO OBSERVE YOUR OWN TRADITIONS!"

[BOLD EMPHASIS MINE for highlighting relevant text. Note also that the Greek text 'Sebomai' that is often translated as 'worship', possibly appealing to a Christian bias, more properly means 'to revere'. A study of the Bible shows shades of meanings to many common Greek words which are usually translated as worship. For example, the Greek 'Proskuneo' gives a stronger meaning of worship as it means to kneel or prostrate and an act of profound reverence. This is not the word used here. See example such as John 4:23 '“ Happy to stand corrected by a Biblical academic / scholar]

No doubt this powerful dialogue captured by the Gospel writers will resonate with many Muslims today that find themselves in exactly the same predicament.

It appears through our experiences of history, little ever really changes. True teachings of God are at best infiltrated and at worst abandoned in preference for the traditions of men.

Many Muslim preachers and clergy today operate no differently to the Pharisees during the ministry of Prophet Jesus. (pbuh) Traditions regrettably often take priority over the commandments of God given to us by scripture.

Sects, Madhabs, schools of thought - our history has repeatedly shown us, nothing really ever changes. Those familiar with Biblical and ancient history with regards the writings of historian Flavius Josephus (d. circa 100 CE) will no doubt be aware of the 'four schools of thought' that the Jews were also divided into in the 1st century CE.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell