Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Agnostic / Theist Trying to Find Truth

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Agnostic / Theist Trying to Find Truth
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »
[Subject title above as received by email]

Hello,

My name is [Name Removed] and I'm from Chile (south america). I'm writing to you because among the vast material there is of Islam yours is (according to me) the most balanced (I think that is the word). I've looked at websites where they hold haddiths as high as the qur'an, others that do not believe in them at all (most of them regarding "code 19" that I do not know if your familiar with) or others where they treasure haddiths but in a specific way (different suffi orders).

So, I'd appreciate very much if you had the time (whenever possible) to answer some questions. Well, the most important one is, where should I start the study of the qur'an? I've been reading stuff (webpages mostly, not that much of the qur'an) since august (more less) but in a very disorganized way. I'm confused between a philosophical approach or a mystical one. Would you recommend me to read biographys on the prophet? (Martin Ling's, Karen Armstrong's). I'm confused and puzzled with some verses such as the "100 lashes" one, "cut-off the hand's thief" one or "beat your wife" one. I know there is a context for this. In fact, I read one translation where they give more meanings to the "hand" one (as to make the qur'an more universal as it claims to be).

The concept of God (which somehow I know that exists) is rather difficult for me to handle. Is it a "Being", meaning he is like a regular being but on a higher status? Is it an active "entity" that is constantly interacting with us? How can then can we relate the events of this world with our free will and "his" Will.

I'm sorry for all this unorganized "chatter" or "chit chat", but I think that it shows that I'm looking for something. I've been trying to find spirituality since long ago without positive results.

Well, thank you for your time.

Greetings (saludos)...

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Agnostic / Theist Trying to Find Truth
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »
Dear [Name Removed]

Peace to you.

Thank you for your email. The questions you are asking are very intelligent ones and natural for anyone who embarks upon a journey to seek the truth. I think the best method would be to start with the Quran first. If it is possible, the best way is to approach the Quran with no 'external baggage' of Islamic secondary sources, be they Ahadith, the Maghazi genre, The Sira genre, Islamic jurisprudence, ijma or whatever.

The best approach is to open the Quran and read it from cover to cover, noting themes and making copious notes. Let the Quran speak to you.

It is best to take as many different translations as one can if you are not familiar with the Arabic. I have a short article in the way of humble suggestions when starting to study the Quran.

Humble sites like mine attempt to clear misconceptions of Islamic thought from the perspective of the Quran. Of course, you are always free to study these arguments and see whether they have strong support from the Quran.

With regards your question:

The concept of God (which somehow I know that exists) is rather difficult for me to handle. Is it a "Being", meaning he is like a regular being but on a higher status? Is it an active "entity" that is constantly interacting with us? How can then can we relate the events of this world with our free will and "his" Will.

Without writing a comprehensive response and with a view to keep it brief, God is not like His creation (112:4). Albeit, we have been given some attributes to understand our Creator, such as volition, the concept of justice, mercy, forgiveness, love, retribution etc, God possesses these in 'absolute' terms. Therefore, our function is to recognise an innate truth of God's existence through our multifaceted faculties and submit to His Divine laws and will out of volition.

Furthermore, God is not dependant on time nor does He exist 'in time' that He Himself has created. We exist in time. God transcends space, time and His creation. He is not dependant on the laws He himself has created. A lot of difficulties in our understandings are resolved if we remove God from our linear perception of time and space which He is not subject to. Many verses in the Quran indicate that He is in the past, present and future simultaneously and governs affairs from outside His universal creation.

For example, one's prayer after the death of a person at their grave was heard even before the person who died was created. Something which I feel humbly, is worth thinking about.

So indeed, He has knowledge of what one will do, but this does not mean God 'forces' one to make the choice. Of course, this does not mean that the Universe runs on complete randomness either. Situations are created and managed which is once again clear from the Quran. But these situations are created so that individual choices can be 'manifested' not so that they can be 'forced'. There is a crucial difference.

For example, we note a dialogue between Prophet Moses and God in verse 20:17. God asks Prophet Moses with regards his staff 'wa ma til'ka biyaminika ya-musa?'. This would approximately translate as "And what is that in your right hand O Moses?".

Now was God not aware of what was in Prophet Moses's right hand? or that it was a staff? or that it was possibly constructed from an off-shoot of a strong branch of a tree or that he even possibly found it somewhere? Was God not aware of any of these possibilities? It is in the response given that we note that Prophet Moses knew exactly what was being asked of him which was his 'choices'.

God also knew his choices but it was for Prophet Moses to advance them which introduces the concept of 'answerability'. "He said: This is my staff / rod (asaya) I lean upon it, and with which I bring down leaves / beat down fodder for my sheep, and wherein I find other uses" (20:18)

In the same way, God knows His creation's choices even before they make them. Yet, we remain responsible for our 'choices' and our 'actions'. He didn't force our choices, we made our choices. He just knew of them and took account of them.

This idea of heavenly 'active management' is also clear from Quran's perspective.

If we note verse 7:54 and read 'istawa ala 'larsh' (ascended the throne) in context to the establishment of God creating the universe and the laws and taking power over it, we see it further elaborated in 13.2 with the term 'yudabbiru l-amra' (governing / disposing the affairs). I feel this gives us a strong indication of 'active involvement'  which can be supported from inferences from other Quranic verses too.

However, this should not be understood in 'real time'.  God is not deciding as events unfold. His decisions are already made taking into account the choices people would make given the scenarios that were created with His will where He governs the affairs from outside 'time and space'. His Divine agents indeed may carry out His will in real time, but that does not mean His decisions were made in 'real time' or 'in time'.

Something worth thinking about.

I hope this helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.

HOW TO STUDY THE QURAN - SUGGESTIONS
http://quransmessage.com/articles/how%20to%20study%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell