Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Schuaib the father in law of Musa?

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Schuaib the father in law of Musa?
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:08:06 AM »
salamu aleikum to all
My daughter is in the school in Qur'an by Surah al Quasas. she has test next week and showed me her preparations. There they learn that  Shu'ayb is the father in law of Moses. I always thought it was Yethro (AT)? I can not remember, so now quickly that Shu'ayb declared somewhere in the Koran as Musa's father in law?From where they get that ?Thanks for clarification. salaam

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Schuaib the father in law of Musa?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

The connection is merely a superficial one with no 'established' warrant from the Quran. The father in law of Prophet Moses is mentioned in the Quran but not by name. (28:25-28)

From a Biblical perspective, Jethro is indeed argued to be the father-in-law of Prophet Moses, a Kenite Shepherd in the land of Midian but there is contention with other passages such as Numbers 10:29 that posits 'Hobab' as Prophet Moses's father in-law as well. But this is a well known theological discussion and a matter really for Biblical theologians.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Re: Schuaib the father in law of Musa?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
thank you
 :)

UPDATE BY QM FORUM MODERATOR

13th March 2013

This thread is now closed and a direct link to this post is now available at the dedicated Q&A page.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/q&as%20FM3.htm

Thanks.