Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Cousin Marriages

Offline Reader Comments

• View Profile
Cousin Marriages
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »
Sallam Joseph

I hope you are well Inshallah and thank you for the articles you are sending through which are always a joy to read.

I wanted to get your opinion on a verse form the Glorious Quran (quite a long verse) which stipulates who you can and cant marry.

I ask this, as it is quite common for Muslims , certainly from the Subcontinent to marry 1st Cousins , Cousins etc. Is it only Muslims (and may be some 'hadith') that this makes it quite common, or is it in other Cultures too?

I was recently in Pakistan and as you may be aware, there are lots of people who marry in to 'families' and I want to know if the Quran allows this?

Look forward to a response.

Peace

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Cousin Marriages
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

Marriage into 'families' as you have advanced, is not prohibited by the Quran nor is it expressly encouraged. It is a matter simply for individuals and communities based on sensible choices.

The Quran only stipulates boundaries pertaining to relations that cannot be married (4:23) These do not include first cousins which would remain permissible.

I cannot speak for every community, culture or religion but such marriages are / have not been, exclusive just to Islam.

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell