Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Does Shariah Mean Divine Law?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Does Shariah Mean Divine Law?
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:25:08 AM »
Salam Brother

In the following video, Br Farouq argues that the term Shariah does not mean Divine Law.

Wonder if you agree with him?

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CBpearXSg&feature=context&context=C48a9fa3VDvjVQa1PpcFM1Q_zLfO5T1HF4RuaChc5x8aITnpTGBgk=

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Does Shariah Mean Divine Law?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:28:10 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

The Quran clearly recognises a Divine law which is prescribed. This is clear from the following verse.

005.048 (part)
"...To each among you have we prescribed a law (Arabic: Shir-atan) and an open way (Arabic: waminhajan). If God had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He has given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to God; it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which ye dispute"

Please note the Arabic: 'likullin ja'alna minkum shir'atan' which approximately renders as 'For each we have made for you a law'

The problem is that a lot of extra laws which have been developed by man have been instituted in the name of God for which there is no warrant from the Quran. If this is done in the name of 'Divine law', then this is incorrect.

Maybe it is that the brother insinuates in the video, but I would rather respectfully reserve judgment on his particular perspective.

I can only advance my own humble perspective from the Quran and endeavour to address the core of your enquiry.

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell