Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Does the Testimony of One Male = Two Females?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Does the Testimony of One Male = Two Females?
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph

I hope all is well Inshallah.

For those of us who follow the true message , glorious Quran, we know that it speaks equality, fairness etc. There is one area however, which some people 'object' to and say 'it shows Islam is not treating Women equally', that is the verse (sorry i don't have the verse/chapter) where it stipulates that Two women witness are required.

Can you elaborate or shed any light from the Qurans perspective as to why Two women are required?

I noticed a recent article in the Times newspaper by a 'shia Scholar' that he and many others feel 'this is now a redundant verse' or no longer applicable. This is Not my view! But if you can help explain what this two women witness relates too, and any other information, I would very much appreciate.

Thank you in advance and look forward to your reply,

Your Brother

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Does the Testimony of One Male = Two Females?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:23:06 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

Please find below my humble perspective on the question you have raised.

THE TESTIMONY OF MALES AND FEMALES

Whenever a classical text is studied with a lens which is unduly critical, mistrusting and with a biased theological axe to grind, questionable allegations against the text will inevitably result.

In front of God, the witness of one man is equal to one woman. This is clearly attested in cases such as charges of lewdness / slander where no other witnesses are present (24:6-9). Other witness requirements in the Quran show no preference for gender.

The fact that in Islam, men are expected to be the primary breadwinners is difficult to dispute from the Quran. This can be deduced from the inheritance laws and the way it is structured (4:11, 4:12, 4:176), the requirement for the dower (4:24), the expectation of men to support their young after divorce (2:233), to provide their women with a fair provision upon divorce (2:229, 33:49) and clearly evidenced by the statement "wa'bima anfaqu min amwalihim" (because they spend from their wealth) when in reference to the general maintenance of women (4:34).

Therefore, men would be more likely to be engaged in financial transactions including dealing with matters of inheritance. This can be clearly seen in verse 5:106 where the requirement of two male witnesses has been stipulated in the matter of bequests. The Arabic 'ithnani dhawa' is clearly in the dual masculine case and therefore clearly implies 'two men'.

Keeping the above in view and the fact that men in Islam (and generally in antiquity) were the primary sources of financial support for the family and engaged in the fuller scope of financial transactions, the longest verse of the Quran which deals with financial transactions can be better understood (2:282). The requirement for two female witnesses is only borne from the nature of the transactions in question and not intended to provide evidence of female inferiority.

Furthermore, it is important to appreciate that albeit two female witnesses are summoned, the second female witness is only present in case the first one cannot provide sufficient witness to the financial transaction. If she is able to, then clearly her testimony would suffice against the witness of one male.

The fact that the second female witness is only present as an aid and not a main witness, is completely unappreciated by many overtly critical to the ancient text. It would be a rather different matter, if the two females had to provide equal testimony against that of a male's testimony. This is clearly not the case from the context of the verse.

It is to be appreciated that the Quran was not revealed in a silo. It was revealed to guide the primary listeners of the Prophetic call and to address the needs of that society in the first instance. Thus, when studying such an ancient text, it is imperative to understand it foremost in its primary context. Any wider guidance outside that context can then be extracted.

Final Thoughts:

To assert on the basis of verse 2:282 of the Quran which deals specifically with financial transactions, the general rule that one male witness is equal to that of two female witnesses finds absolutely no warrant. 

Such an assertion takes no account of the primary context in antiquity or the financial responsibility of the male in Islam. Furthermore, it lacks appreciation of the likelihood of males in both antiquity and Islam to be involved in such transactions and the wider narratives of the Quran which clearly suggest that the witness of one male is equal to that of a female.

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell