Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is the Friday Khutbah Obligatory?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is the Friday Khutbah Obligatory?
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:12:40 AM »
Salaams

JazahkAllah my dear brother, thank you very much for that.

Another question if I may.

What is the importance of listening to the kutbah? (obviously, I don't mean the Arabic recitation which appears to have little if any relevance to the religion and owes more to Sunni history, seeming to not even come form Hadith).

Is this also obligatory or important?

JazahkAllah once again

Wa Salaam.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is the Friday Khutbah Obligatory?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:00 AM »

Salamun Alaikum.

Whenever we approach the Quran for guidance, believers should attempt to take the best meaning from what they hear (39:18) and then implement the best course of action to the best of their abilities (64:16).

It is not the intention of the Quran to prescribe specific ritual pedantics for the Friday congregation (Jummah). That a tradition has developed which includes a 'Khutba', where religious and political matters of a community are discussed is not out of kilter with the emphasis laid by the Quran to 'congregate' on a particular day (Friday in this case), by leaving one's trade (wadharul -bay'(a)). 

It is useful to note the Arabic word 'Jummah' inherently means to collect or gather, to unite, to assemble, to resolve or decide upon a matter or agree upon an opinion. Therefore, a day of the week that was known as 'Jummah' and with which the Quran was familiar, has strong implications that this day was a well known day of the week for the Arabs where the community met to congregate.

Despite the ritualised content with questionable value we find in today's 'Khutbah', this does not undermine the need for an appropriate sermon (Khutbah) from a Quranic perspective, certainly if religious and political matters are to be discussed. This is clearly within the scope of the Quranic verses and the Arabic terms used (62:9).

Furthermore, today's community need not be considered in a restrictive 7th century Arabian context. Today's community of Muslims are billion + and part of a world-wide brotherhood with today's communication methods owing to technology. Therefore 'community' issues should not only be considered at a local level, but should also focus on a global level as well. 

Therefore in light of the Quran, a believer's participation in the 'Jummah' is clearly prescribed and arguably 'obligatory'. This would include participation of any sermons / discussions that the congregation undertakes.

062:009
"O you who believe! When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday (the Day of Assembly), hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of God, and leave off business: That is best for you if you but knew!"

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell