Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Angels Depicted on a Mirror

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Angels Depicted on a Mirror
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:04 AM »
Sallam Brother, hope all is well Inshallah.

I wanted to ask a question on something , usually these types of questions are asked by people following hadiths (!!). However, i just want to be clear I am not doing anything against advice from the Quran!

I am looking to purchase a mirror, which depicts 2 'angels' (one ether side) its a french ornate type mirror, i really like the look of it but just wanted to be sure having something like this in my home was not going against anything in the Quran?

Peace

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Angels Depicted on a Mirror
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:12:48 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

There is nothing wrong with images, statues or anything of the sort as long as you do not intend to worship them and they are not ‘indecent’.

Prophet Solomon had “statues” made for the temple.

“They made for him what he willed: synagogues and statues (Arabic: Thamatheel), basins like wells and boilers built into the ground. Give thanks, O House of David! Few of My bondmen are thankful”

What were those statues he built?

If we consult 2 Chronicles 3 10-13 of the Old Testament, we note that the statues (images) were of Cherubim.

What is a Cherub?

A Cherub is generally referred to as an angel whose gift is knowledge; usually portrayed as a winged child. However, in classical texts, Cherubs also represented mighty statues of living creatures with many faces such as lions, oxes, eagles and of man. Sometimes they were depicted with feet of a calf or with mighty wings. They would normally be sighted at doorways, but other Cherub figures could also be found within the temple confines.

2 Chronicles 3
3:1 Then Solomon began to build the house of the LORD at Jerusalem in mount Moriah, where the Lord appeared unto David his father, in the place that David had prepared in the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.

3:10 And in the most holy house he made two cherubims of image work, and overlaid them with gold. 3:11 And the wings of the cherubims were twenty cubits long: one wing of the one cherub was five cubits, reaching to the wall of the house: and the other wing was likewise five cubits, reaching to the wing of the other cherub. 3:12 And one wing of the other cherub was five cubits, reaching to the wall of the house: and the other wing was five cubits also, joining to the wing of the other cherub. 3:13 The wings of these cherubims spread themselves forth twenty cubits: and they stood on their feet, and their faces were inward.

Please see the following article. I hope it helps, God willing.

ARE STATUES AND IMAGES UNLAWFUL (HARAM)?
http://www.quransmessage.com/articles/are%20statues%20and%20images%20unlawful%20FM3.htm

Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell