Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Difference between 'Jihad' and 'Ijtihad'

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
The Difference between 'Jihad' and 'Ijtihad'
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
Dear Mr. Joseph,

S/Alaykum,

Can you guide me as to the difference between Jihad and Ijtihad , as I read following:

Quote:

The word derives from the three-letter Arabic verbal root of ج-ه-د J-H-D (jahada, "struggle"): the "t" is inserted because the word is a derived stem VIII verb.

Unquote
in wikipaedia.

Rgds

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: The Difference between 'Jihad' and 'Ijtihad'
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:38:18 AM »
Salamun Alaikum brother,

Yes, both words are formed from the same triliteral root - JHD which means to strive with regards a particular affair. In this way, 'IjTihad' means to make use of one's utmost ability or power to resolve a particular affair or an objective and implies 'reciprocity' in its meaning (i.e. something done mutually or in return). I'll expand on this a bit later.

'IjTihad' is used in intellectual strife with a view to form a correct opinion. The Quran asks us to 'strive' in both a practical and intellectual sense.

With regards the Arabic construction, the quote you have shared is correct, but misses a part. Both 'I' as a prefix and 'T' as an 'infix' are usually found in the construction of Form VIII verbs. Please allow me to explain.

Arabic verbs have 'forms' and there are usually nine that are commonly used and they range from - Form I (which is usually referred to as the 'stem') to Form IX. There are 14 in total. These verbs are derived from the triliteral 'root' such as JHD and then depending on what vowel, prefix or 'infix' (a word in-between) is added, another form of the verb is developed with different shade of meaning.

For example, 'qatala' formed from the triliteral root QTL would be Form I and the ground form (Stem).  Form II would require the central consonant 't' to be 'doubled' to give a more intensive sound, such as 'qattala'. Form VIII would usually be formed by prefixing it with the consonant 'I' and including the infix 'T' to the Form I (stem verb) to produce 'IqTatala' (form VIII). It usually has the meaning of 'reciprocity'  (i.e. something done in return).

So as another example,  the root KTB would form 'kataba' as form I which means 'He wrote'. Form VIII would require an 'I' to be added as a prefix and a 'T' to be added as an infix to produce "IkTataba" which again gives a sense of 'reciprocity' (They wrote to each other).

So the 'I' as a prefix and the 'T' as an 'infix' to the stem verb (Form I) is used to make a form VIII verb. In your example, JHD as a root would become 'IjTihad' as a verb III form. Note both the 'I' as prefix and 'T' as an infix to create the form VIII verb. So 'IjTihad' would also have the sense of 'reciprocity'. (i.e. something with mutual involvement).

Arabic grammar can become crucial when studying the Quran in depth. For example, traditionalists believe the Prophet could not write, yet the disbelievers said about the Prophet:

025:005
'And they say: Fables of the men of old which he has written down (Arabic: Ik'Tatabaha) so that they are dictated to him morning and evening'

Now 'IkTataba' is again a form VIII verb (note the 'I' and the 'T') and gives a sense of 'reciprocity' whilst conveying a meaning that the Prophet was also involved in its 'writing' or could have written it himself. Form IV would be 'aktaba' which is not the form used in the above verse.

Arabic Verbs have different 'forms' and these rules can become quite complex to learn but to natives are 'known' as part of their mother tongue. It is the same for the native speaker of any language who doesn't think of 'grammar rules' when they speak. They just know what to say and when a grammar rule has been broken, they become immediately apprised of it.

I hope that helps, God willing

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell