Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Was Adam the First Prophet or Messenger?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Was Adam the First Prophet or Messenger?
« on: May 06, 2012, 03:00:13 AM »
Sallam Joseph

I tried to do a little research but could not find the correct information or one that which I was happy with.

According to Quran, did Adam (first man) have a role to play? i.e. was he considered a Messenger or even a Prophet?

I know many Muslims refer to him as one or both of these but I wanted more information on this please.  I also understand that the Quran mentioned Prophet hood and/or ? messengership  started from Prophet Abraham? Verse 27 but cannot locate the chapter.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Was Adam the First Prophet or Messenger?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

From a Quranic perspective, 'Messengerships' and 'Prophethoods' are usually applied to the type of ministry that entailed Adam's chosen progeny ‘who came to specific people / nations’ and not to Adam himself.

Therefore, Adam's messengership / prophethood is open to interpretation as he had no predecessor to compare with and was the first 'insaan'. His progeny would also not have existed when he was moved out of the state in which he was in after he ate from the tree. (2:35-38).

Thus it can be argued, that the question is mute in the first place.

However, please read verse 2:37 and note the phrase "fatalaqqa adamu mi rabbihi kalimatin" ‘Then Adam received from his lord "words"’. Now it is up to the reader to infer what kind of 'words' he would have received given the context, but some kind of words / advice / guidance must be inferred in my humble opinion. This subsequently also infers a role he must have played not only for himself to seek guidance from, but also to pass on these ‘words’ (kalimat) to others in due course.

Furthermore, Prophet Abraham was clearly not the first prophet. If you consult Chapter 6 which lists the 'prophets' in 6:83-89, Prophet Noah is also mentioned in the list who preceded him.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell