Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Voice tone in salat

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
Voice tone in salat
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:00:22 PM »
Dear Friends

We read Say: 17:110 "Call Him Allah or call Him Ar-Rahman; whatever the name you call Him by, all His names are beautiful." Do not say your prayers too loudly or in too low a voice, but follow a middle coarse.

Does this mean we must, when every we offer Salat, utter it in the above manner (neither too loudly or in too low a voice)? Why don't the Muslims do this in the masajids and at home?

Thanks.

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Re: Voice tone in salat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:32:13 AM »
salam brother Mubashir
I've wondered that too. The informative in this Aya seems completely clear. I know that there are hadith prescribing the sound. I will draw the conclusion that these regulations only derived from secondary sources, according to the principle that the sunna can abrogate the Quran... :( Salam

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Voice tone in salat
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

I agree with the sentiments. The Quran is absolutely clear. Congregational prayers aside, in my personal prayers, I endeavour to keep my tone slightly audible in line with the verses.

However, the only possible rebuttal I can perceive argued from the Quran alone, is that this is a reference to the previous followers of scriptures (17:107-109) where the Prophet is advising them.

This would be a fanciful assertion in my personal opinion as it would be difficult to accept the Prophet instructing the followers of the previous scriptures how to pray and then have differing methods for his own people.

I don't think the verse could be any clearer as to which tone to use during prayer.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell