Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Testimony

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Testimony
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:20:07 AM »
Dear Brother Joseph,

Salaam alaikum.

I have another question please - all muslims when reverting/converting/or testifying say: "I testify there is no god but God and Muhammad is the prophet of God" - my questions that instantly come to mind -

• Why do we have to testify regarding the prophet?
  • What about the other prophets? Are they not God's prophets too? Why never mention them too? God says to us to never discriminate between them, so by saying the above aren't we doing just that? I'm sorry i don't mean to be disrespectful but i feel that the last part of the statement is not necessary or should be changed. Also this exact statement is not found like this for us to say by the Quran. I mean we're not told to say it like this.
  • I have seen all over the world by scholars e.g. i saw a video by Yusuf Estes just recently converting someone to Islam. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAL0YSDHIs&feature=player_embedded if you want to see).  He said to say the above in english 1st then in Arabic.
  • I think that saying that u believe in God and testifying is not necessary in ARABIC! it can be done in any desired language. And also why publicly? or say with the help of by someone e.g. a scholar. i think if you start to believe in God than the 1st place it comes from is your heart and mind and then you just find your way with the God.

I'm not sure how you perceive, but e.g. I've seen a documentary on Steve Jobs. I always used to wonder what really happens or will happen to all the so so talented and artistic or creative people who are non-muslims? in the documentary they mentioned that Steve Jobs started thinking and believing that a God, a ONE GOD, does exist and that his return was now going to be to Him. Isn't that the definition of being a Muslim? I know a gazillion Muslim nations out there would never agree with me out there. I'd probably be killed even for "creating mischief in the land" (and that is not the context of the phrase even).

Anyways so my question is about testifying please.

regards,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Testimony
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:50:27 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

I respectfully feel that you have actually answered your own question.

You’ll find that my own humble views are not so far from your own.

SHAHADAH - THE TRUE TESTIMONY
http://quransmessage.com/articles/shahadah%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell