Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Women's Dress Code

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Women's Dress Code
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:16:17 AM »
Sallm Brother Joseph

I have read your article on Women's 'Dress code' (24,31)

Could you please tell me, what is meant by 'lengten your dress' in 33.59?

Sallam and thank you

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Women's Dress Code
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:19:30 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

The word 'yudni' comes from the verb 'adna' which basically means to draw something close or nearer. The phrase 'yudnina alayhinna' would imply to draw something over themselves when referring to women which is clearly a reference to their outer garments (jalabibihinna).

The outer garment coverage should also be read with 24:60 which references a 'thobe'. A thobe in classical usage and when applied to a woman means a coverage that extends the length of the arms and down the legs up to the feet. This was something older women could discard which implies younger woman could not in unfamiliar company.

So reading 'yudnina alayhinna' (draw over themselves) with jalabihinna (outer garment) in 33:59 and 'thobe' (outer garment) in 24:60 implies drawing a garment which drapes over a woman’s chest and extends towards their feet.

These verses are obviously about appropriate coverage as opposed to any particular dress code.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:24:36 AM »
Sallam Brother

Thank you for this. So apart from the verse advising women to 'cover their chests' (not heads) is this another verse on Women's dress code? So would I take from this verse, that the Quran advises women to cover themselves down to their feet? Typically a 'jilbab'?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:25:26 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

It does not have to be a ‘jilbab’. In verse 33:59, the Quran merely points at a type of garment worn in Arabia as an outer garment addressing a specific context.

However, the Quran does expect suitable coverage for women whereby the arms and legs are covered. This is clear from verse 24:60 where older women are permitted to discard their outer garments (thiyaab). Therefore, younger women would still be expected to maintain their outer garments (giving suitable coverage) when in unfamiliar company.

Both a jilbab (jalab) and thobe (singular of thiyaab) refer to outer garments in the context being discussed.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell