Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is Usage of 'Nabi' Time Specific?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is Usage of 'Nabi' Time Specific?
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:17:52 AM »
Sallam Brother

In verses of the Quran which mention the specific Word Nabi /Prophet (oppose to Messenger), is it correct to understand that those verses 'only applied' at the time the Prophet was alive? i.e. all or nearly all?

Verses where the word Nabi is mentioned, seem to be a specific instruction at the time of the Prophets life. 

I am not in any way suggesting these verses are not valid! Just as we have verses from the Quran which talk about past events.

Sallam

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is Usage of 'Nabi' Time Specific?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:21:25 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

Generally, I would incline to argue ‘yes’. When spoken to in the capacity as a 'Nabi' such as 'Yayuha-nabi" (O Prophet!) it generally implies an immediate context being addressed as a Prophet is not only a ‘messenger' but also one with hukma (authority)  / command of his people. In the case of Prophet Muhammad, he was not only a spiritual guide to his people including his family, but also a community leader.

"These were the men to whom We gave the Book (Arabic: Kitaba), and authority (Arabic: Hukma), and Prophethood (Arabic: Nabuwa): if these (their descendants) reject them, Behold! We shall entrust their charge to a new people who reject them not"

Of course, Prophet Muhammad’s immediate 'authority' as a 'Nabi' would be first and foremost upon his people, but that does not mean that there is no wider guidance to be extracted for subsequent believers.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell