Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is it Haram to Eat Donkeys?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is it Haram to Eat Donkeys?
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:12:01 AM »
Salam Joseph.

Is it haram or halal to eat donkeys? There is a video (below - sorry only in Urdu) that shows donkey meat for sale in Karachi and the maulvi's (religious clergymen) are not saying that they are outright haram.

However, in principle from the Quran, is it persmissible? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcsmse9Ew-g&sns=em

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is it Haram to Eat Donkeys?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

With respect to your question, there are some grazing (bahimatu) livestock (anaam'i) (5:1) which are specifically mentioned for travel and not for food (6:142, 16:8.).

005:001
"O ye who believe! Fulfil your obligations. Grazing (Arabic: bahimatu) livestock (Arabic: anaam'i) is made lawful (Arabic: uhillat) to you (for food) except that which is announced to you (herein), game being unlawful when ye are on the pilgrimage. Lo! God ordains that which pleases Him"

"Of the cattle (Arabic: Anaam) are some for burden and some for meat: eat what God has provided for you, and follow not the footsteps of Satan: for he is to you an avowed enemy"

"And (He has created) horses, mules, and donkeys, for you to ride (Arabic: Litarkabuha) and use for show (Arabic: Wazinatan); and He has created (other) things of which ye have no knowledge"

Note that the animals above have been mentioned for travel and show and not as food. It is also interesting to note that the camel is absent from this list (therefore can be eaten).

I have attempted to address the subject of food permissibility in its wider context from a Quranic perspective. Please see below [1].

I hope that helps.
Regards,
Joseph.

[1] FOOD PERMISSIBILITY AND PROHIBITIONS
http://quransmessage.com/articles/food%20restrictions%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell