Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: masjid =act of worship?

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
masjid =act of worship?
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:46:03 AM »
Salam :)
7:31
Asad translated here  the word masjid as act of worship (not as a place of worship / sujud).
How does he get it? To my knowledge this is the only time he translated Masjid with an act of worship. why? and possible?
To me it seems illogical, if we look at the continuation of the Aya: ... and eat and drink ... For me, it is logical to be eaten and drunk in a mosque in his original function, but when translated masjid as an act of worship, then  it makes no sense to me. Thanks for your help.
salam

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: masjid =act of worship?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
Salamun Alaikum Chadiga,

I think this is simply a case where the translator (in this case, our late brother Asad) is capturing the essence of the message rather than giving a literal translation.

Whichever way you translate the verse, the command is that we should be conscious of our presentation before we worship our Lord during prayer whether this is in a mosque, at home or anywhere else. A ‘masjid’ literally translates as a place where one does 'sujud'. So this can be any place where the practice of 'sujud' takes place. Yes, there are dedicated places of worship, but this may not always be the case.

So what brother Asad seems to be capturing is the main message, which is to be conscious of our personal appearance / adornment, presentation before we pray whether this is in a dedicated mosque / at home, or somewhere else.

So rather than appear exclusive, he has translated it in a way to appear inclusive capturing the main message of the verse. This is also indicated by the Arabic 'inda kulli masjidin' (at every masjid) which means 'at all places of prayer' (in other words, whenever we do an act of prayer).

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:39:12 AM »
Salaam,

That makes sense because as you say, not all people pray in the mosques, but the requirement of dressing appropriately "for prayer" applies even if you are praying elsewhere.

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
Salam

yes it makes sense.but it's  just for Non- Arabic- people or those who are just able to  read the text in Arabic more difficult, if such a (justified) translation is chosen; because it can be confusing. (with reference to the mosque as a foot note, it would be easier for many) ;)
peace and thanks