Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Does Verse 30:21 Legitimise Homosexuality?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Does Verse 30:21 Legitimise Homosexuality?
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »
Salaamun Alaikum,

I have a question regarding 30:21 and how it can be used it to legitimize homosexuality.

Would like to hear your input on the word azwaja with it's classic, root and modern meaning :-) I look forward to hear your thoughts on this.

Wasalaams

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Does Verse 30:21 Legitimise Homosexuality?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

The fundamental rule of Quranic interpretation is that unqualified verses need to be understood from qualified verses / concepts, i.e. the ‘implicit’ under the lens of the 'explicit'.

The only marriage institution recognised by the Quran by explicit verses is a marriage between man and woman (nikaah). There are numerous verses to prove this. So from a Quran’s perspective, it would be impossible for a homosexual relationship be legitimised when even a relationship between man and woman requires wedlock. (nikaah).

Two other explicit verses completely negate the question of legitimate homosexuality from a Quran’s perspective.

"Indeed, you approach men lustfully (shahwatan) instead of women. Nay, you are a people transgressing beyond bounds (musrifun)"

"Why do you approach men with lust (shahwatan) instead of women? Nay you are a people ignorant!"

As far as the indefinite masculine plural noun 'Azwaj' is concerned, it simply means companion / spouse / mate as is used depending on context. So in terms of human relationships of the kind, depending on who is being referenced, the opposite gender is assumed.

A man's companion would be his wife and a wife’s companion / spouse her husband. It is incredulous that anyone would use 30:21 and particularly the word 'azwaj', a well known context dependant word in Arabic, to legitimise homosexuality.

This is especially where there are 'explicit' references to negate this practice.

HOMOSEXUALITY
http://quransmessage.com/articles/homosexuality%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps, God willing,

Regards,
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell