Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How will Abu Talib be judged?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
How will Abu Talib be judged?
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:36 AM »
Abu Talib is considered by Sunnis to have died a non-believer while Shias say he was hiding his belief to best protect the Prophet.

Sunni hadeeth says Abu Talib will recieve the least punishment in hell for his efforts to help the Prophet and that only his feet or shins will be in hell.

But according to the Qur'an, would Abu Talib be more or less punished in comparison to a born Muslim like Yazid who killed many of the Prophet's family at Karbala?  Probably Yazid would be considered a munafiq and thus worse than Abu Talib and according to the Qur'an potentially at at the lowest part of hell?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: How will Abu Talib be judged?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:30:41 AM »
I would reserve judgment on commenting on narratives sourced from later historical reports and then attempting to reconcile them with the Quran.

Therefore, this is a question I would have to decline with the proviso, God knows best about these personalities, the state of their faith and the truth of their affairs.

I seek support from the general wisdom in the following verse:

"Those are a people who have passed away. Theirs is that which they earned, and yours is that which you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do"
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell