Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Questions About Ritual Prayers from a Quran's Perspective

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Questions About Ritual Prayers from a Quran's Perspective
« on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:37 AM »
Assalmu Alaikum (I am used to of saying that. Is it wrong to say this particular salam ?)

I would like to tell you about myself ... [Personal information removed to protect identity]

I came through your website and AlhamduLillah, last 12 days I have been going through your all of articles, and amazed (I can not find any word to explain) in a positive manner!

I have so many questions to ask, can not find right answers from anyone. But I have asking Allah to guide me all along. Never give up for the truth !. If it is does not bother you , would like to ask few questions bellow, Please answer me, If you Will ? Insha Allah.

The Prayer has been mentioned in the Quran in details, and also I know I can pray any way I like. The traditional way I was praying 5 times a day with the imam in the mosque, now it seems different from quranic perspective . If I still continue doing what I was been doing all my life with the intention of doing a dhikr infront of Allah alone will it be wrong ? If so, the way or form of it ? I know it mentioned in the quran that it is very important to pray in the mosque with Jama’a, fo fulfill that I can not picture how would 40 people pray with 1 imam doing samething at a time ( Ruku, Shujood, Sitting, units etc. ) ?

Since I know it is very important to pray 5 times daily, I have gave up the traditional way, now I only pray at home alone, not knowing how, only pray 1 unit reciting Fathiha and other Dua’s , doing Ruku, Sujood & sit for a couple of second and say salam to both sides. Is it the right way ? if not , How?

Some Sunnahs are been practiced for Ibadah which does not mentioned in the Quran , but If some one use it to get closer to Allah with the right intention, will it be wrong ?

Jumma prayer mentioned in Quran. Should I pray both the Jumma and Dhuhr ? Can I pray Jumma alone ?

Shortening the prayer, does that means two units or how short ? if I am traveling with a plane or on journey if I stop by a McDonald how and where would you pray ?

I am very sorry if I have caused you any waste of your important time.

I have yet, many more questions to ask , if you allow me ?

Five times prayer is very important for a muslim and it concerns me and I want to do it right.

Jazak Allah Khairan (can I say that)

May Allah grant you (in return) a good reward

You have opened my heart, may Allah give you plentiful (in this world and in the Askhirat)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Questions About Ritual Prayers from a Quran's Perspective
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:20:44 AM »
Salamun Alaikum

"JazakAllah Khair" for your kind comments. Please see my responses in BLUE to your questions.

QUESTIONS and RESPONSES

Assalmu Alaikum (I am used to of saying that. Is it wrong to say this particular salam ?)

Any peaceful and sincere offering peace is acceptable from a Quran’s perspective. All the Prophet’s of the past offered ‘peace’ in their own languages and not in Arabic. If you would like to study this further, please see article [1] below.

The Prayer has been mentioned in the Quran in details, and also I know I can pray any way I like. The traditional way I was praying 5 times a day with the imam in the mosque, now it seems different from quranic perspective . If I still continue doing what I was been doing all my life with the intention of doing a dhikr infront of Allah alone will it be wrong?

Not at all, it will be absolutely fine, God willing. The Quran only asks you to ‘establish’ prayer. If today’s practice is not conflicting with the Quran’s guidance then there is no harm in following it as long as you discern from it carefully. For example, one of the conditions that can be established from the Quran is that you must know what you are saying in your prayers (4:43). If you don’t know Arabic well enough to understand it, then at least in your private prayers, pray in a language you understand. [2]

Even Mary, mother of Prophet Jesus  was simply asked to bow down (wa’ir’kai) with those that bow (raki’een) when she met a prayer tradition in her time (3:43). She was not asked to reinvent a new one but to ‘assimilate’. The same applied to the practicing Jews (2:43).

If so, the way or form of it ?

The Quran does not intend to prescribe a particular form. If it wanted to, it would have done so like the ‘wudu’. (5:6, 4:43). I see no point in reinventing a new method as the current practice completely satisfies the Quran’s guidance. Therefore, I will happily assimilate with those that bow down. However, I will not worry about accidently missing rakats, or where my hands are tied, how my feet are placed etc. I will concentrate to pray alongside those that bow to God and maintain the etiquettes of the congregation.

I know it mentioned in the quran that it is very important to pray in the mosque with Jama’a, fo fulfill that I can not picture how would 40 people pray with 1 imam doing samething at a time ( Ruku, Shujood, Sitting, units etc. ) ?

We are simply expected to assimilate with a congregation if the prayer is satisfying the guidance of the Quran. I believe most if not all sectarian prayers do not conflict with the Quran. i.e. no one prays to a false God like Al Lat, Manna or Baal etc. Also no one prays to Prophet Muhammad. However, in my prayers, I do not distinguish between the messengers. [3]

Since I know it is very important to pray 5 times daily, I have gave up the traditional way, now I only pray at home alone, not knowing how, only pray 1 unit reciting Fathiha and other Dua’s , doing Ruku, Sujood & sit for a couple of second and say salam to both sides. Is it the right way ? if not , How ?

There is no right or wrong way. However, my private prayers are more engaging, but I generally keep the same form as I use in the congregation. Like I have mentioned, I find no cogent Quranic reason to ‘reinvent’ it.  Even at home, I sometimes congregate in prayer with the rest of the family.

Some Sunnahs are been practiced for Ibadah which does not mentioned in the Quran , but If some one use it to get closer to Allah with the right intention, will it be wrong ?

Any type of worship to God (and as much as possible) conducted with the correct intentions and monotheistic spirit is a good thing. I can see no reason why the Quran would not support that. It is important to remember that the Quran’s intention is not to remove one’s traditions. Its intention is to ‘regulate’ traditions in accordance to correct principles and to discern from it.

Jumma prayer mentioned in Quran. Should I pray both the Jumma and Dhuhr ? Can I pray Jumma alone ?

From a Quran’s perspective, Jumma is better performed in congregation. (Jam’aat). There is particular emphasis of this in the Quran (62:9). Of course, if you cannot make the ‘Jumma’ prayer due to some necessity, then you can pray Dhuhr. When we are in a mosque, our concentration should be on the overarching purpose for God and not necessarily the theology of the Imams we disagree with. In most cases, the Imam is preaching simply what he knows. We should not judge. We are there to worship and pray to God and thank Him for everything He has bestowed on us.

Shortening the prayer, does that means two units or how short ? if I am traveling with a plane or on journey if I stop by a McDonald how and where would you pray ?

Shortening of prayer is only allowed in a situation of fear or danger (4:101-2). So one would shorten it to a point which is convenient. I usually half it. But it is left to judgment. The condition of fear (khiftum) also applies to when you are on a journey. In some places I might sense that I am at risk of praying in a public place, so I might abandon form temporarily (2:238-39) and re-establish it later. But the element of ‘fear’ (khiftum) must be present.  Please see related article [4] below for more clarification. With regards where to pray, again you will need to make a sensible judgment. If the place causes you some fear, then you need to take precautions. If not, then a suitable place to prayer should be found and prayer conducted, God willing.

I hope that helps, God willing.

RELATED ARTICLES

[1]  SALAMUN ALAIKUM (PEACE BE UPON YOU) - WHAT IS AN ISLAMIC GREETING?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/salamun%20alaikum%20FM3.htm

[2] DO WE HAVE TO PRAY IN ARABIC?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/do%20we%20have%20to%20pray%20in%20arabic%20FM3.htm

[3] THE IMPORTANCE OF CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER
http://quransmessage.com/articles/congregational%20prayer%20FM3.htm

[4]  SHORTENING OF PRAYERS
http://quransmessage.com/articles/shortening%20of%20prayers%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell