Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: verse 16:63 , why Allah himself says 'By Allah' in it ?

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
verse 16:63 , why Allah himself says 'By Allah' in it ?
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
16:63 (Sahih international translation)
"By Allah , We did certainly send [messengers] to nations before you, but Satan made their deeds attractive to them. And he is the disbelievers' ally today [as well], and they will have a painful punishment.

Please will you explain me why Allah used the words 'By Allah' himself in 16:63 ? Looks strange.
'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'

Offline optimist

• View Profile
Re: verse 16:63 , why Allah himself says 'By Allah' in it ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
16:63 (Sahih international translation)
"By Allah , We did certainly send [messengers] to nations before you, but Satan made their deeds attractive to them. And he is the disbelievers' ally today [as well], and they will have a painful punishment.

Please will you explain me why Allah used the words 'By Allah' himself in 16:63 ? Looks strange.

I don't think it looks strange....the verse is specifically addressed to the prophet  (though the message is for all) and prophet is directly in touch with Allah through wahi  and in order to confirm the fact of the message Allah swears by Himself....to stress the point that no one should have any doubt about what is being stated.
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »
Peace Adil,

With respect, I once again differ with Optimist's somewhat simplistic response. This goes to the heart of the Quranic style of communication and 'how and whose speech' is captured by the Quran. There is also much scholarship material on this topic which is insightful reading both from a Muslim and a non-Muslim perspective.

If for example you read verses 37:164-166 you will know exactly what I mean. Who is the 'speaker'? God, or the revelatory angels?

My general response to this can be seen in the short Q&A article below:

WHY DOES THE QURAN SOMETIMES USE THE PLURAL?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/plural%20FM3.htm

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
Salaam alaikum , Thanks Joseph islam and optimist for giving your time to reply on my post.

I understood it sir. 16:63 is words of angel , the angel says 'By Allah' , we (angels and god , on the command of god alone) sent to the nations before you .
Sahih international uses the word messenger in brackets to explain it , but now after viewing your explanation  i think 'warning or good news' makes more sense here.knowing arabic grammer , what are your views on it sir .
Thank you.
'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'