Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is there a clear difference between Jinns and men and Sons of Adam?

Offline Orange

• View Profile
Dear Joseph,

What wisdom in your view is behind this that GOD instructs the same commandment for Jinns and men and Sons of Adam separately?

6:130 O you assembly of jinns and men (Arabic: الْجِنِّ وَالْإِنسِ ), did not apostles come to you from among you, communicating My signs to you, bringing warnings of this your day (of Doom)?" They will answer: "We bear witness to our sins." They were surely deluded by the life of the world, and bore witness against themselves because they were unbelievers.

7:35 O sons of Adam (بَنِي آدَمَ), when apostles come to you from among you, who convey My messages, then those who take heed and amend will have neither fear nor regret.

regards

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is there a clear difference between Jinns and men and Sons of Adam?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
Peace Orange,

The Quran is well known to present knowledge in multifaceted ways at times elucidating / elaborating it when it deems fit. It is a collective scripture to be studied holistically.

Whereas verse 7:35 clearly informs us of messengers that will come to mankind, verse 6:130 elucidates this information with additional information by informing us that even the creation of jinn have their own warners sent to them. Therefore, in the context of your specific question, messengers have also been confirmed for an additional category of God's creation (The Jinn) from amongst their own kind.

Give that both types of creation have recourse to exercise of volition and can stray, both have been granted guidance.

I feel there are a couple of points worthy of note with regards the translations you have provided. The plural noun 'Bani' in verse 7:35 is better translated as 'Children' which can include daughters [singular son (ibn), 2 sons (ibnay)]. Furthermore, the word 'rasul' is better rendered as 'messengers' in my humble opinion.

There is also a very interesting insight in verse 7:35. The phrase 'O Children of Adam' (Arabic: Ya Bani Adama) has only been used in the Quran to denote generic guidance to all mankind. This guidance not only applied to previous generations, but also to the contemporaries of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and more importantly, to all the subsequent generations that would follow after him.

For example:

007:026
'O Children of Adam! We have indeed sent down to you clothing to cover your shame, and (clothing) for beauty and clothing that guards (against evil), that is the best. This is of the communications of God that they may be mindful'

007:027
'O Children of Adam! let not the Satan cause you to fall into affliction as he expelled your parents from the garden, pulling off from them both their clothing that he might show them their evil inclinations, he surely sees you, he as well as his host, from where you cannot see them. Surely We have made the Satans to be the guardians of those who do not believe'

007:031
'O Children of Adam! wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of prayer: eat and drink: But waste not by excess, for God loves not the wasters'

Directives to the 'Children of Adam' above are reserved for all humankind, past, present and future.

Now when it comes to verse 7:35 which uses the same term 'O Children of Adam', traditional Islam does not accept the use of generic guidance of this verse as it argues that such 'warnings' have now ceased. Both 7:35 and 6:130 seem to suggest otherwise and that such 'warners' will set to continue till the Day of Judgment.

Something I humbly feel worth pondering about.

Regards,
Joseph.

RELATED ARTICLE

END OF PROPHETHOOD - CONTINUATION OF MESSENGERS?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/end%20of%20prophethood%20FM3.htm

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
Salaam br Joseph,

I thank you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of my sisters for acknowledging our identity and not burying us in the sack as the three misogynist Quran interpreters have done.  They are Edward Henry Palmer, Ahmed Ali and Muhammad Mahmoud Ghali.  The last one translated the word as "seeds or sons of Adam"

FYI
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Orange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:03:18 AM »
Thanks dear Joseph :)

Dear Hope,

With respect to your comments

"Those are a people who have passed away. Theirs is that which they earned, and yours is that which you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do"

So please avoid sharing your views with respect to people who have passed away or even present. We are already undergoing such negativity.

By the way I don't love them or hate them.

Regards

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:40:50 AM »
Salaam Orange,

Being a sister myself, I understand that people feel aggrieved sometimes at the way that some translate the Quran in a very male centric matter, hence Hope's comments. Although having said that, maybe using the word  'misogynist' is a bit too strong in my opinion  ;)

With regard to your comments about negativity, sometimes if there is a legitimate reason for highlighting the issues that other people have, I think it is a good thing in order to raise awareness.

Care should be taken with those that have passed away but I think that with someone who is with us, we should be able to express our views of them, but in a balanced and mature way in order to highlight what we think is wrong with their stance.

Thanks  :)

Offline Orange

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:44:05 AM »
 :) totally agree sister. Peace.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »
Peace Orange,

I apologize for offending you by my remarks.  Speaking behind a dead person must be a cultural no-no that I was not aware of.  I was sharing my perception of the mentality of the translators not judging them- that belongs to God.  I do not know them; never heard of them.  The one who is deceased may he rest in peace.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"