Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Absence of Salaat Details in the Quran and the Need for Hadith

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Absence of Salaat Details in the Quran and the Need for Hadith
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
Salaamun Alaikum Dear Br Joseph,

Almost always whenever I speak with family and friends about studying and upholding Qur'an, as it's complete, fully detailed and purging their hearsay conjectures, their first response is  if the Qur'an is complete then show us where it's written in the Qur'an about how to pray Salaat.

My response usually is that Almost All religious orders (Salaat, Haj, Fasting, etc) came through the original founder of Islam, i.e Prophet Ibraheem (PBUH) and
Prophet Muhammed (PUBH) was instructed to follow the religion of Ibraheem (PBUH) and it makes sense that religious practices were existed and known to the Arabs at the time of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).

In addition, Qiyaam, Ruku, Sujood is mentioned in the Qur'an and that Hadiths also do not contain full details about Salaat except few references here and there.
I also say that most Muslims perform Salaat based on their sect and the way they found their parents/community doing and NOT what the Hadiths have to say.
Infact, it's just an argument people use to support Hadiths and to reject Qur'an without perceiving what exactly they are saying and doing.

I also argue that even if it was written in the Qur'an people would still perform the prayers the way they found their parents/community doing.
I often cite example of Wudu, divorce, punishment for adultery, first Kalima etc.  Despite the fact that these are mentioned in the Qur'an with full details, people still do not follow the Qur'an. 

Infact, most people do not Read neither Ahadiths nor Qur'an. Violating Qur'an's numerous commandments including Reading, Studying, Pondering, Discussing and Seeking Knowledge.

How do you answer encounter these stereotype questions like how to perform Salaat in the Qur'an.

May Allah (SWT) bless you and reward you for all the good work you do, IA.

Best regards,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Absence of Salaat Details in the Quran and the Need for Hadith
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
Salamun Alaikum

It is in the question that is asked by many traditionalists that lies the problem. The following question “if the Qur'an is complete then show us where it's written in the Qur'an about how to pray” assumes that a specific method of prayer has been prescribed by God.

There is no warrant for this assumption in the Quran.

In fact, one could legitimately reverse the question and ask, “The Quran does not give us the details of prayer, so can you please provide evidence for the need of your ‘fixed form’ of prayer from the Quran”!?

Arguably the burden of proof is with the person asserting a claim. After all, the Quran is the primary source, so who gave the authority to prescribe a fixed form of prayer?

But of course, the idea is not to ‘trap’ anyone, but to gently pass on any wisdom of the Quran (including Quranic silence) that may have reached one.

Your answers are quite apt with the grace of God. I have a humble dedicated article on this matter which also looks at this issue in some detail.

I hope it helps, God willing.

HOW CAN WE LEARN PRAYER IF WE DON'T HAVE HADITH TO TEACH US?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/prayer%20without%20hadith%20FM3.htm

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell