Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Questions for Joseph Islam

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Questions for Joseph Islam
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »
Assalaam Alaikum Brother Joseph,

I am happy that I came across your website accidently 2 days ago.

As I have so many questions, I decided to write to you instead. I hope you will be able to help. InshaAllah.

1. I have stopped going to the masjid and jumaah salaah as they mainly talk about hadith and this disturbs me. In fact, the last time I attended jumah a few months ago, the imam said that whoever rejects hadith, according to the shariah, should be killed! This has made me feel more disconnected than before. Any advice?

2. I have stopped reciting The durood on the prophet and Ebrahim in my salaah. Certain Sufi Shaaikhs encourage the repetition of Durood on the prophet. Some close family members do this with their daily wirds. When I discouraged them and showed articles about it, they could not accept it. I was really disturbed when they told me that the durood on the prophet was the same as zikr of Allah. Some believe that they have to recite the durood on the prophet 1000 every Fridays. (no specific number on other days) When i suggest that they call on Allah instead, their reply is that all the Ulema who know so much more than me cannot be wrong.

3. There is no agreement by Quranist regarding 5 daily salaah. Some insist that it is only 3 according to Quran. What exactly should be recited?

4. I am still not sure about hijab.... To cover or not to cover? Covering of hair is not in Quran as I read in your article, but we are asked to cover beauty? One should not use any make up outside?

5. Zakaah. According to the articles I read about Zakaah, it is only paid once everytime you receive an income and not annually on investments or savings. I am not sure if "the day of harvest" applies to all forms of income?  What is your view of this? What about gold jewellery?

6. Inheritance. I read that it is possible to bequest equal amounts to your male and female children? Is this correct? Please advise.

7. Haj. Is it possible to perform haj while pretending to do the umrah during the 4 sacred months?

8. Marriage.  There is so much of ignorance about the Islamic marriage. The divorce rate amongst Muslims in certain areas have increased dramatically. Most nikaahs takes place in a masjid  and the bride is not present. Some do not even understand the contract. I would appreciate any advice.

9. Grandchildren. I feel so helpless when certain family members are circumcised and they would be taught in madressa which focusses on reciting Quran but most practices are taught from hadith. Please advise....

These are some of the main things i need clarity on for now.

I pray that you will be able to help.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Questions for Joseph Islam
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:22:07 AM »
Walaikum salaam.

Please see my responses to your questions in red below:

1. I have stopped going to the masjid and jumaah salaah as they mainly talk about hadith and this disturbs me. In fact, the last time I attended jumah a few months ago, the imam said that whoever rejects hadith, according to the shariah, should be killed! This has made me feel more disconnected than before. Any advice?

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 1:

Please do not feel disconnected. All places of worship belong to God (72:18; 22:40), not those that run them. Our connection with God is not through those that speak through the microphone of a congregation. Our connection is with the Almighty directly.

Furthermore, we congregate with believers whose individual journey and circumstances we are not aware of, including the imam. Also, we know not when guidance may come to them or when it may depart us.

When we start praying, we pray only with the intention to worship God. It can be difficult and I completely understand your sentiments. However, we are not a warden over anyone else.

2. I have stopped reciting The durood on the prophet and Ebrahim in my salaah. Certain Sufi Shaaikhs encourage the repetition of Durood on the prophet. Some close family members do this with their daily wirds. When I discouraged them and showed articles about it, they could not accept it. I was really disturbed when they told me that the durood on the prophet was the same as zikr of Allah. Some believe that they have to recite the durood on the prophet 1000 every Fridays. (no specific number on other days) When i suggest that they call on Allah instead, their reply is that all the Ulema who know so much more than me cannot be wrong.

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 2:

Simply as a prayer, I find there is nothing wrong with the Darud recitation [1]. However, conflating it with Dhikr of God or ritualising it has absolutely no warrant from the Quran. Once again, please do not feel grieved / disturbed as to what others may or may not do even if they are close to you. Even the Prophet was tacitly admonished when he grieved for others. The Quran likened it to an 'ignorant' act. We can simply but pass on the message and leave it with them to ponder, accept, park or reject.

006:035
"And if their aversion is grievous to you, then, if you can, seek a way down into the earth or a ladder to the sky so that you may bring to them a sign (to convince them all)! If God willed, He could have brought them all together to the guidance. So do not be among the ignorant / foolish ones (Arabic: Jahileen)

REFERENCE

[1] DARUD SHAREEF PRAYER
http://quransmessage.com/articles/darud%20shareef%20prayer%20FM3.htm

3. There is no agreement by Quranist regarding 5 daily salaah. Some insist that it is only 3 according to Quran. What exactly should be recited?

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 3:

We as believers (not Quranists) are expected to extract the best meaning of what we hear of the Word (39:18, 39:55). In my humble academic opinion from the Quran, I find clear support for 5 prayers [2]. In the end, believers are simply expected to bow with those that bow when met with a prayer tradition if it does not conflict with any guidance of the Quran [3]

REFERENCES

[2] THE FIVE PRAYERS FROM THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/the%20five%20prayers%20from%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm
[3] THE IMPORTANCE OF CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER
http://quransmessage.com/articles/congregational%20prayer%20FM3.htm

4. I am still not sure about hijab.... To cover or not to cover? Covering of hair is not in Quran as I read in your article, but we are asked to cover beauty? One should not use any make up outside?

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 4:

Indeed, my article argues that there is no direct stipulation for the 'Hijab' to be worn as a religious requirement and neither has the term been used in the context of such a head covering. However, wearing hijab is a matter of judgment and choice and should be considered in light of ‘zeenat’ as with lipstick / makeup. I have clearly concluded in my article that:

"The above discussion should facilitate a better understanding of the Quran’s directives. There is no specific reference to covering of the hair and the Arabic word 'Hijaab' has never been used to signify nor even insinuate this.  However, if an individual feels that their particular covering lends to better modesty (including hair and face covering) and with respect to prevailing customs, then this is their prerogative. One needs to be careful however not to override the Quran’s injunctions with a view to favour or seek overtly liberalist positions and also not to present overtly repressive directives when they are not decreed by scripture.

However, one can argue that bedecking the hair in public (beautifying oneself to an extent which can become a cause of attraction) needs to be carefully considered under the broad Arabic term 'zeenat'. This is indeed a subjective area and I remain non committal to define 'zeenat' as I do not see any reason to when the Quran has not explicitly done so. Many may feel that such bedecking would fall under the scope of 'zeenat'. If so, the directive is not to display this beauty and adornment to those other than the people listed in verse 24:31. (See section 1)"

5. Zakaah. According to the articles I read about Zakaah, it is only paid once everytime you receive an income and not annually on investments or savings. I am not sure if "the day of harvest" applies to all forms of income?  What is your view of this? What about gold jewellery?

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 5:

I have argued my position on Zakat in article [4]. If gold and jewellery is a form of income, or provides a source of investment income then arguably this should be covered under the scope of Zakat.

REFERENCE

[4]  WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF ZAKAT FROM THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/zakah%20FM3.htm

6. Inheritance. I read that it is possible to bequest equal amounts to your male and female children? Is this correct? Please advise.

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 6:

Quranic rules on inheritance are clear which attribute a 2:1 share in the general context you have shared but only after any specific wills by the deceased are satisfied. If there is no specific will in place, the Quranic inheritance of 2:1 will apply as default. Therefore, it is quite possible to provide equal shares in the specific will in accordance to verse 2:180. Please see my article [5] below.

[5]  INHERITANCE LAWS IN THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/inheritance%20FM3.htm

7. Haj. Is it possible to perform haj while pretending to do the umrah during the 4 sacred months?

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 7:

Today the Hajj would not be possible outside the time the authorities of Saudi Arabia have stipulated it. There would be rites that would remain uncompleted. God clearly knows what is and is not within our means. In the end, we are only expected to follow our duties to the best of our ability

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

8. Marriage.  There is so much of ignorance about the Islamic marriage. The divorce rate amongst Muslims in certain areas have increased dramatically. Most nikaahs takes place in a masjid  and the bride is not present. Some do not even understand the contract. I would appreciate any advice.

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 8:

Please see my views on marriage in the following article [6] below

[6]  NIKAAH - THE CONTRACT OF MARRIAGE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/nikaah%20FM3.htm

9. Grandchildren. I feel so helpless when certain family members are circumcised and they would be taught in madressa which focusses on reciting Quran but most practices are taught from hadith. Please advise....

These are some of the main things i need clarity on for now.

I pray that you will be able to help.

RESPONSE TO QUESTION 9:

Please do not feel helpless. Everyone is on a journey. Sometimes it takes one to go through a Madrassa to realise the difficulties present in the arguments. It is a complex web of acquiring information and we are led through multifaceted paths to obtain deeper guidance. Sometimes I cannot even come to comprehend my own humble yet incredible journey.

Sometimes like peeling an onion, layer by layer, it seems life's journey is often somewhat similar whereby wisdom also reaches us, layer by layer by His will.

In the end, Only God knows best who is close or has strayed from His path.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell