Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is a Muslim Anyone That Believe in a Peaceful Existence?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is a Muslim Anyone That Believe in a Peaceful Existence?
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »
"With respect to the term Muslim, there are some scholars who say that anybody who believes in peaceful existence, is a Muslm (regardless of faith for which Allah alone is the judge)"

Mubashir

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is a Muslim Anyone That Believe in a Peaceful Existence?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
With regards to your comment below

"With respect to the term Muslim, there are some scholars who say that anybody who believes in peaceful existence, is a Muslm (regardless of faith for which Allah alone is the judge)"

This is not a definition that can be sourced from the Quran and therefore not one I can humbly subscribe to. God makes it clear what a Muslim is in the Quran. Many atheists believe in peaceful existences. I would doubt if any of us would class them as Muslims from a Quranic perspective.

MUSLIM AND MU'MIN (BELIEVER) - THE DIFFERENCE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/muslim%20mumin%20FM3.htm

WHY IS THE TERM 'MUSLIM' HIJACKED
http://quransmessage.com/articles/term%20muslim%20hijacked%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
You wrote:

"......In regards your comment below

"With respect to the term Muslim, there are some scholars who say that anybody who believes in peaceful existence, is a Muslm (regardless of faith for which Allah alone is the judge)"

This is not a definition that can be sourced from the Quran and therefore not one I can humbly subscribe to. God makes it clear what a Muslim is in the Quran. Many atheists believe in peaceful existences. I would doubt if any of us would class them as Muslims from a Quranic perspective..."

If it comes to being a Muslim of faith plus behaviour, I agree with your reply.

What if a non-believer or a mushrik submits to live peacefully in an Islamic state? He may be a submitter but with a small "s" his faith does not come into play here. Just like the bedouins who were admonished in the Qur'an as having submitted, but faith had not yet entered into their hearts?

Mubashir

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »
Peace brother.

With respect to your question:

"What if a non-believer or a mushrik submits to live peacefully in an Islamic state? He may be a submitter but with a small "s" his  faith does not come into play here. Just like the bedouins who were admonished in the Qur'an as having submitted, but faith had not yet entered into their hearts?"

He would remain a 'mushrik' and a 'non-believer' (not necessarily a Kaffir).  A Muslim is one that submits to the will of God in the truth of His religion that he has revealed and not simply living peacefully in an Islamic state. An atheist can live peacefully in an Islamic state and do good deeds. This doesn't make him Muslim.

I feel your reference to the bedouins on the strength of 49:14 is respectfully misplaced. The desert Arabs had submitted to the message of the Prophet but faith (imaan) is something which can sometimes take time to develop. In either case, the Arabs had submitted to the true deen. They would have worshipped, paid zakat etc. One would not expect atheists living under an Islamic state to pray or fulfil the Shariah that believers are expected to fulfil.

To further elaborate 49:14, if we read it in context with the next verse (49:15), it is clear that there were still some doubts in their hearts as their submission had not yet translated into their actions (especially in them not striving with their belongings (49:15)).

Now if 49:14 was just a reference to those that submitted to an Islamic law, then why were they expected to strive like believers? (49:15). Therefore, it seems more likely that these were early converts, who still harboured doubts. This is very different from one who is a disbeliever living under an Islamic state.

Even today, many new converts do submit to the veracity of the message, but 'imaan' takes time to develop. This will also show in their actions. They may start praying, intermittently. They may start to strive, but eventually get stronger.

I hope that helps.

Your brother ...
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell