Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Prophet Abraham's Test

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Prophet Abraham's Test
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »
Salam ...

Today when I went for Jummah Salah

The Imam said:

1. Allah tested Ibrahim (AS) with respect to sacrifthe sacrfice of his son. Why does Allah need to test anybody? Does He not know the future as well the present as well as the past?

[Should not the proper way of putting is Allah was making Ibrahim to test his faith against what he (Ibrahim) claimed to believe?]

2. In memory of that incident of sacrifice, Muslims all over the world MUST offer an animal for sacrifice. Not just those at Hajj. [Is this true?] The Imam also said that based on a hadith, when a Muslim sacrfices an animal the amount of sins washed away are equal to the hair in his body!!

3. We celeberate Eid because to pariticpate in the joy of the Hajis who complete this obligation and the fact that all their sins are washed off (per hadees) and they come back as newborn babies. Meat must be distributed in three portions. One for relatives, One for the poor, One for (I forgot who!). What is the point of sending meat to our relatives who are participating in the Qurbani and sending meat to our house anyway? Should not all the meat be given to those in need starting with relatives who cannot afford a sacrifice and then to those in need (like a food bank?).

[If the purpose of Qurbani is to sacrifice something for Allah why not, in this day and age, donate money in His cause?]

Regards,

Mubashir

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Prophet Abraham's Test
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
Dear brother,

Peace to you

In response to your email, I personally find no linkage of Prophet Abraham's 'test' with the requirement of Hajj in the Quran. Hajj was proclaimed so that mankind could come to an appointed place, on certain days and complete certain rites and remember God alone (22:27-29). When did this requirement for 'pilgrimage' get linked to Abraham's test? I personally find it not the concept of the Quran to perform practices in memory of others, otherwise it would be a contravention of the Quran's following verse.

"Those are a people who have passed away. Theirs is that which they earned, and yours is that which you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do"

We only practice certain rites for the praise of God only.

Today many Muslims run the lengths of Safa and Marwa in the memory of Hagar. There is absolutely no mention of the Hagar-Ishmael narrative in the entire Quran. Nor is any 'story' linked to the Safa Marwa narrative which refers to symbols (Shar'airi), not mountains and to an existing pagan practice which was allowed to continue (2:158). [1]

002:158
"Indeed! Safa and Marwah are among the symbols (Arabic: sha'airi) of God. It is therefore no sin for him who is on pilgrimage to the House or visits it, to go around them (Arabic: Yattawwafa). And he who does good of his own accord, (for him) lo! God is Grateful, Aware"

With regards the need to sacrifice, I humbly find from the Quran it compulsory for those who complete Hajj. Outside that it would be charity. I personally would strongly recommend any charity as it has numerous benefits as well as atoning for one's sins. [2]

Eid is a celebration. Customs are no doubt attached to it. However, it is important to remember it is not part of 'ordained' religion. It is a choice. [3]

[1]      Did Prophet Abraham (pbuh) Really Send His Wife Hagar and Son Ishmael (pbuh) Away Alone to a Barren Land?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/abraham%20hagar%20FM3.htm

[2]      The Concept of Sadaqah from the Quran
http://quransmessage.com/articles/sadaqah%20FM3.htm

[3]      Eid
http://quransmessage.com/articles/eid%20FM3.htm

Your brother ...
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell