Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Bayni aydeehim wamin Khalfihim

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Bayni aydeehim wamin Khalfihim
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
Peace brother Joseph,

I was reading your following article on MA BAYNA YADAYHI

http://quransmessage.com/articles/between%20hands%20or%20before%20it%20FM3.htm

Then what should be the correct translation of the phrase bayni aydeehim wamin khalfihim

We can find them in the verses

(1) Thumma laatiyannahum min bayni aydeehim wamin khalfihim waAAan aymanihim waAAan shamailihim wala tajidu aktharahum shakireena 
(  سورة الأعراف  , Al-Araf, Chapter #7, Verse #17)

(2) WajaAAalna min bayni aydeehim saddan wamin khalfihim saddan faaghshaynahum fahum la yubsiroona 
(  سورة يس  , Ya Seen, Chapter #36, Verse #9)

(3) Ith jaathumu alrrusulu min bayni aydeehim wamin khalfihim alla taAAbudoo illa Allaha qaloo law shaa rabbuna laanzala malaikatan fainna bima orsiltum bihi kafiroona
(  سورة فصلت  , Fussilat, Chapter #41, Verse #14)

Also what should be the correct translation of these 3 verses?

Regards,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Bayni aydeehim wamin Khalfihim
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

I am humbly in absolutely no doubt as to what the term 'bayna yadayhi' implies (i.e. what lies in front - in the moment - contemporaneous) as I have discussed in the article.

Please note, verse 41:14 that you have kindly shared. What does it mean to say that ‘messengers came to them before them and behind them'? Isn't 'before' and 'behind' simply a repetition and superfluous?

However, many translators overlook this awkward translation and still render it so. A better translation would be that messengers came 'contemporaneous to them' / at that moment. Some good translations actually capture this sentiment. See Muhammad Asad's and Aisha Bewley's rendition of this verse for example.

With regards verse 7:17, Satan's attack is imminent - in the moment, in front of them, contemporaneous to them (bayni aydeehim). Again, 'before' and 'behind' would be an unnecessary repetition.

Similarly, verse 36:9 would imply a similar sentiment where 'wamin khalfihim' would imply a repetition of 'before them'. A better rendition would be that a barrier has been placed in front of them (i.e. in the moment - in situ - contemporaneous to them) and 'wamin khalfihim' (behind them)

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell