Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Society for spreading faith - Tablighi Jamaat

Offline Orange

• View Profile
Society for spreading faith - Tablighi Jamaat
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:03 AM »
Dear brother Joseph, Peace be on you 

Background:

Tablighi Jamaat is a religious movement which was founded in 1926 by Muhammad Ilyas al-Kandhlawi in India.[1]

The movement primarily aims at Tablighi spiritual reformation by working at the grass roots level, reaching out to Muslims across all social and economic spectra to bring them closer to Islam.

The emergence of Tablighi Jamaat represented the intensification of individual reformation aspects of the original Deobandi movement. It was also a continuation of the broader trend of Islamic revival in India in the wake of the collapse of Muslim political power and the consolidation of the British rule.

The emergence of Tablighi Jamaat also coincided closely with the rise of various Hindu proselytizing movements which launched massive efforts in the early twentieth century to reconvert Hindus who had converted to Islam and Christianity. [2]

[1] Masud, Muhammad Khalid (2000). Travellers in faith. BRILL. p. 268. ISBN 90-04-11622-2. Retrieved 2009-10-02
[2] Ballard, Roger (1994). Desh Pradesh. C. Hurst & Co. ISBN 1-85065-091-8. Retrieved 2009-08-10

Question:

The following verse is widely used not only by the Tablighi Jamaat but all others who flag to enjoin right and forbid wrong when asked why are you doing the way you are doing this in the name of God:

3:104
And let there be among you [a] people inviting to the good [and] enjoining the right, and forbidding from the wrong, and those - they (are) the successful ones.

The practices however are not even approved by senior scholars of Islamic Secondary Sources but still are done in the name of God. Please share with us the wisdom behind 3:104 and if possible or already have please share a detail article on these societies that exist not only in Muslim communities but in others too.

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
Re: Society for spreading faith - Tablighi Jamaat
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:34:04 AM »
Salamun alaikum Orange ,
I would like to share my experience with Tableegh Jamaat
As far as i know , Tableegh Jamaat is a big organization in India and  it is spread up to the ground level everywhere ,  their main aim is to teach Muslims (especially Muslim youths) about Islam .
But their main book is not Quran , it is Fazail-e-amaal. (although they will say Quran is main book of Islam , but i have never seen them advising someone to read Quran's translation) , and whenever  i meet them they ask '' are you all doing zhikr of Fazail-e-amaal in your rooms ?''

Three times i have been to 'Jamaat'(Living inside the mosque for 1 to2 days) . I have never seen them teaching Quran during my experience. All they do is that after every Salah they start teaching Fazail-e-alam (which contains many selected Hadiths from Bukhari , muslim , etc and other stories)
I have questioned a person (not their scholar) from  their mosque and his reply was '' We do not have enough mental strength to understand exact meaning and interpretation  of the Quran''.

The activities of members of TJ is within Muslims , they do not preach the message of Islam to non-Muslims.
Fazail-e-amaal is  criticized by Ahl-e-hadith (Saudi type) sect too because of its contents (stories not present in Sahih or Daeef hadiths)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXYaN3VOw_c (please watch this video if you can understand Urdu)

Peace on you.

'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'

Offline Orange

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:33:26 AM »
Peace be on you Adil,

Scrolling down your message noticed that you have mentioned in the signature:

Well I might have overlooked but while reading about different societies working in South Asia I came across the above tag line of  Jamaat Ahle Sunnat which is a prominent religious organization in Pakistan that represents the Barelvi movement of Sunni Islam.

I might have misunderstood but please let us know whether you are in any way associated with the Jamaat Ahle Sunnat Pakistan.

In January 2011, scholars from the same organization advised Muslims not to attend the funeral of Salmaan Taseer, the Punjab governor who had been assassinated in response to his outspoken beliefs against blasphemy laws. [1]

If however you are associated please go through the following enlightening article

DEATH PENALTY FOR BLASPHEMY
http://quransmessage.com/articles/blasphemy%20FM3.htm

It might help, God willing.

Regards 

P.S. Please don't mind me asking.

[1] http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2011/01/201115135528691282.html

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »
Assalam Tablighi Jamat people say that Translation &  Interpretation of Quran is to be done by the Scholars only not by all.This opinion is reasonable as wrong translation or interpretation may do harm.But their dependence on Fazail Amal /Secondary Source is not right.All the muslims other than Shia are called Sunnis ( Sunnat ul Jamat) in general.  Therefore,  generally speaking, people believe  if you are not Shia you are Sunni
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
Salamun alaikum ,
@Orange , I am NOT associated with any sect or religious organisation in any way.

'I must strive for reformation of myself
and the world'

You are right , this is tag-line/slogan/motto Of Jamat ahl e sunnah pakistan (their television channel named 'Madani channel' is broadcasted in india too) . I consider them as the most transgressed sub-sect among muslims and do not like anything in them except their slogan.

And thanks for the beautiful article.

Offline Orange

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:36:12 AM »
Peace be on you Dear Adil,

Thanks for sharing. May HIS blessings continue to be with you.