Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Injeel and Kitab

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Injeel and Kitab
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
Peace brother Joseph,

I have a question regarding your article:

http://quransmessage.com/articles/injeel%20FM3.htm

You mentioned:

The Injeel is never referred to by the Quran as a 'kitab', a 'suhuf' (87:16) or 'kitabu Isa' (Book of Jesus), but plainly as 'Injeel'. Only the Book of Moses (Torah) is recognised as an immediate 'Book' before the Quran.

Then which book was given to Jesus in the following verse? Was it Torah or Injeel or any other book which is not named?

19:29 So she pointed to him. They said: "How can we talk to someone who is a child in a cradle?"
19:30 He said: "I am God's servant, He has given me the Book and made me a prophet."

Also the following verse mentions that The gentile prophet was written in the Torah and Injeel. Does that mean Injeel was present in written form ?

7:157 "Those who follow the Gentile messenger prophet whom they find written for them in the Torah and the Injeel; he orders them to goodness, and deters them from evil, and he makes lawful for them the good things, and he forbids for them the evil, and he removes their burden and the shackles that are upon them. So those who believe in him, and support him, and help him persevere, and follow the light that was sent down with him; these are the successful."

Peace

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Injeel and Kitab
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

In my humble view, it is clear that Prophet Jesus was not referring to a separate 'Book' as a mere child when confronting his people when they parted with allegations against his mother Mary (19:28).

I feel strongly that the mention of the 'Kitab' in this context is a reference to the laws of the Torah, or at least what scriptures were being read by his immediate community. Furthermore, his reference as a 'Prophet' clearly shows the authority granted to him by God to provide wisdom with regards these scriptures which were part of what was granted to him (Injeel). This I have covered in the article you mention.

In 7th century Arabia, the Injeel would have represented the Christian literature being read at the time of Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) ministry. This would have most likely consisted of a set of 'teachings' based on the wisdom imparted by Prophet Jesus (pbuh) and would have comprised of canonical as well as some non-canonical literature / beliefs.

With regards verse 7:157, your inference is correct. It is my humble view, that there must have been a 'coexisting' scripture which the contemporaries of Prophet Muhammad referred to as the 'Injeel'. Otherwise, there would be no point in referring them to a Torah or Injeel to ratify a claim.

I have a dedicated article which elaborates further on verse 7:157. Please kindly see below.

IS THE NAME 'AHMAD' FOUND IN THE BIBLE?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/ahmad%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell