Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Allah Swears ?

Offline Talib

• View Profile
Allah Swears ?
« on: December 21, 2012, 02:14:47 AM »
Salamun Alaikum

What should be the appropriate answer to this question ? Please enlighten.

In the Quran why does Allah swear by things like the moon or the stars or even the mountains ? Isn't swearing supposed to be by something with higher power for instance for humans we swear by God.

Thank you

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Allah Swears ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
Dear Talib,

Peace be with you.

One could potentially posit many reasons for an oath. Arguably, God's existence, immense power and authority is best observed in His creation where given the assault on one's faculties which allows one to observe and ponder, cannot deny God's evident reality.

Therefore, it is not unusual that at many times in the Quran, one notes that God takes oaths by His creation.

Please see below a related article.

THE INTENSITY OF GOD'S OATHS - THE EVEN AND THE ODD
http://quransmessage.com/articles/oath%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Talib

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
Dear Respected Joseph Sir

Salamun Alaikum

Thank you so much for your reply. The article does answer my questions.

However the questioner, since he is not a believer, considers Yahweh as True God and sometimes gives references of OT considering it as the only divine scripture. It is very confusing to understand what he really believes in. He talks about Yahweh but says that True God cannot be understood from Scriptures (specially not from Quran).

(Yahweh, I learnt, can be another name of God that Moses used in OT. I studied your article concerning Allah not being exclusive name of God.)

He considers Quran as an invention of Muhammad. So he is comparing these verses of Quran with the ones in OT. And claims that Allah Himself is associating partners with Himself by Swearing upon his Creation.

This is his reply :

Talib
With everlasting peace and love of Christ: in the OT lord God YHWH said this, regarding swearing. "and said, ‘By Myself I have sworn, declares the LORD, because you have done this thing and have not withheld your son, your only son,’" Genesis 22:16

"I have sworn by Myself; the word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that to Me every knee shall bow…" Isaiah 45:23 --------------------- u see God sworn by himself, why he did not swore by star moon bcz its a shrik in the eyes of God. see my confusion, one God say yes, and other say no. so there cant be 2 gods, unless yhwh God is false God.

Summarizing :
 It is asserted that since swearing is supposed to be by something with higher power, for instance, humans swear by a higher power; God, in Quran, Allah swearing by His own creation is tantamount to Shirk.

How should I understand this and reply to him ?

Thank you always for your time.

Regards.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
Dear brother,

Maybe the following post may answer your questions.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/no_swearing_by_creation.htm

Peace,
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"