Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Does passing wind from the anus invalidate wudu?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Does passing wind from the anus invalidate wudu?
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:54:54 AM »
Dear Joseph.

Salam to you. It is accepted by Muslims that passing wind nullifies wudu. What is your view on this claim?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Does passing wind from the anus invalidate wudu?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:25 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

The Quran is explicit as to what circumstances would require one to perform ablution (5:6, 4:43). None of these circumstances include the passing of wind (flatus). Such a requirement is only based on Islamic secondary sources and not the Quran.

For example:

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 137 (Narrated Abu Huraira):

Allah's Apostle said, "The prayer of a person who does ,Hadath (passes, urine, stool or wind) is not accepted till he performs (repeats) the ablution." A person from Hadaramout asked Abu Huraira, "What is 'Hadath'?" Abu Huraira replied, " 'Hadath' means the passing of wind from the anus."

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 139 (Narrated 'Abbas bin Tamim):

My uncle asked Allah's Apostle about a person who imagined to have passed wind during the prayer. Allah' Apostle replied: "He should not leave his prayers unless he hears sound or smells something."

Given the fact that there is no explicit command in the Quran to support the above Ahadith, one would also arguably be hard pressed to find a logical explanation for the need of ablution after passing gas from the body (not much different in essence from belching). After all, none of the areas are washed that are involved in the passing of wind and which remains very different in essence from the release of actual bodily fluids or solids which consist of tangible waste discharged by the body.

It is important to appreciate from a Quranic perspective, that God does not prescribe rituals to make matters difficult for his servants.

005:006 (part)
"...God does not intend to make any difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you / make you clean and to complete His favour upon you so that you may be grateful."

If one performs ablution after passing wind, this should remain a matter of choice and not one argued for under Quranic shariah.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

RELATED ARTICLES:

[1] WUDU (ABLUTION) ACCORDING TO THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/wudu%20FM3.htm
[2] WASHING OR WIPING THE FEET IN WUDU (ABLUTION)?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/washing-wiping%20FM3.htm
[3] DO I NEED TO PERFORM ABLUTION (WUDU) BEFORE I CAN TOUCH THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/wudu%20before%20touching%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell