Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What is Contact Prayer?

Offline Forum Questions

• View Profile
What is Contact Prayer?
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »
QUESTION ASKED ON ANOTHER FORUM
[Please contact Joseph Islam for further details of the original thread]

Interestingly, your post reminded me of 75:32's relationship with 75:31.

75: 31 - For he neither stood by the truth, nor did he follow it. [Sall = To follow, like the runners up horse closely follows the winner, Saabiq = To closely follow the commands of God]

75:32 - Rather, he used to deny and turn away.

It seems that 75:32 is the opposite of 75:31, no?

Therefore, that should help one to understand what "Sallaa" means in 75:31, and it does not look like it is referring to any term synonymous with a plea or commemoration. If we substitute a plea or commemoration meaning in 75:31, then the context of 75:32 would indicate that does not make sense.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: What is Contact Prayer?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
RESPONSE GIVEN BY JOSEPH ISLAM

Peace brother [Name Removed]

Please forgive my brother, I am not sure I concur with your line of reasoning.

Please note how the same 'salla' (3rd person mascular singular) is used with a slave / servant (abdan) in verse 96:10 and forms part of a rebuke against one who forbids one from 'salla'.

'tawalla' just means to turn from something. So whatever the subject is, it means to turn away from it.

This is a well known term in Arabic.

(1) tawalla (3rd person masculine single) - turneth away.
(2) tawallau (3rd person masculine plural) - they turned away.
(3) tawallaitum (2nd person masculine plural) - ye turned away.
(4) yatawalla (3rd person masculine plural) - he turns away.

So whatever the subject is, the 'tawalla' is turning away from it. So the 'tawalla' in 75:32 can easily be construed as the turning away from 'salla'. This does not change the meaning of salla whatever you conceive it to be. Tawalla is just moving away from it. If one renders the term 'salla' with the traditional understanding 'prays', then in this case it would mean abandoning the prayer.

I hope this helps.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Forum Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »

Peace brother ...

Thank you for your explanation on tawalla.

Would it be correct that the subject in 75:31 is the truth? Subsequently, the subject of tawalla in 75:32 would also be the truth? In other words, what possible subject(s) could 75:32 be referring to as denying and turning away?

75:31 - For he neither stood by the truth, nor did he follow it. [Sall = To follow, like the runnersup horse closely follows the winner, Saabiq = To closely follow the commands of God]

75:32 - Rather, he used to deny and turn away.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »

...In response to your interesting question. On the basis of 75:31-32 alone, I would personally concur with your assertion that the term 'sadaqqa' in 75:31 deals with the subject of a particular truth. I understand the Arabic 'sadaqqa' in context as 'accepted a truth' or 'to find true', whatever it may be. Pretty much similar to the 'sadaqqa' that Satan found 'true' regarding his 'zanna' (assumption) about a particular matter in 34:20.

Indeed, the subject certainly seems to deal with a 'truth'.

Now what I may humbly beg to differ with is your particular understanding of 'salla' as 'it'. I read the 'salla' as a perfect verb in 3rd person. Combined with the conjunction 'wa' (and), I read the 'salla' as a separate verb. This is similar to verse 96:10 I quoted earlier. So whether this is a reference 'to pray' or whichever way one defines 'salla', it is a separate verb.

Also, I find the denial (kadhaba) linked to the denial of the 'truth' (sadaqqa) and 'tawalla' linked to the turning away from the 'salla' (however the verb is defined)

Admittedly, none of this defines the 'salla' by virtue of an analysis of these two verses alone and the Arabic used, but this does not influence my understanding of seeing the 'salla' as a separate verb.

Just my humble opinion. I hope this helps.

Your brother in faith.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Forum Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 11:49:38 AM »

Please see the word to word translation from 'The Quranic Arabic Corpus' which is an open source project at the School of Computing, University of Leeds.

Here is analysis of verses 75:31-32
http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=75&verse=31

falā
And not

ṣaddaqa
he accepted (the) truth

walā
and not

ṣallā
he prayed.

walākin
But

kadhaba
he denied

watawallā
and turned away.

So, If we translate 'salla" as 'to follow', the translation may be as under:

And he did not accept (the) truth and did not follow (the truth), But he denied (the truth) and turned away (from the truth).

Does this make sense?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »

Peace brother [Name Removed]

Thanks for your response.

Yes I do understand what you are trying to say.

I think the argument becomes a little superfluous if I may be so humbly candid (but with respect).

Even if I accept your premise of translating 'salla' to 'to follow', then 'wala sala' and 'watawalla' seem like an unnecessary repetition.

You can even sense the repetition in the English translation that you have offered.

"And he did not accept (the) truth and did not follow (the truth), But he denied (the truth) and turned away (from the truth)"

Also if one does not accept the truth, then it is a given he is not going to follow it.

I personally see them describing two separate verbs which I feel is resonated by the link that you have provided and the rendering offered for that verse.

Of course, we are both entitled to our respective understandings of the terms 'salla'. I respect any possible differences of opinion as I have already intimated in my previous responses. I am not intending to change that, just offering my own humble view.

With respect,

Your brother...
George Orwell

Offline Forum Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »

Dear Brother ...

I am just learner. Moreover, I read many post from you on [Name Removed] forum. I respect your views a lot. But, to make topic clear, I put forward the material, I come across.

Now, back to point of discussion.

Allama GA Parwez and Dr Shabbir both defines one of the meanings of "Salla" as "to follow closely".

Moreover, Allah SWT gives many verses on a particular topic over and over again (6:105, 17:41) to make things clear.

So, is it not possible that Allah SWT used two opposite words (salla v/s tawalla) to make meaning clear ?

Second point to note is that ṣaddaqa (accepted the truth) v/s kadhaba (Denied the truth). If argument is of repetition, then how to explain this repetition?

Third point to note is that of word "lākin" (But), which provides the sense that opposite words are used to make meaning clear.

I am just putting another view point.

With respect and regards,

Wazir

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »

My Dear brother [Name Removed]

I do respect your view point  :)

My humble responses to your questions.

So, is it not possible that Allah SWT used two opposite words (salla v/s tawalla) to make meaning clear?

Anything is possible my brother. However, in my view given the immediate context and my wider understanding of the terms I retain a differing view.

Second point to note is that ṣaddaqa (accepted the truth) v/s kadhaba (Denied the truth). If argument is of repetition, then how to explain this repetition?

Third point to note is that of word "lākin" (But), which provides the sense that opposite words are used to make meaning clear.

In my opinion, the amendment particle 'lakin' in 75:32 provides separation and then the elucidation of the two verbs present in 75:31. I feel that in your proposal, the 'wala salla' is part of the elucidation of the truth (saddaqa) not being accepted. In this case, I feel the 'lakin' would become superfluous, as it is this that separates the elucidatory verbs in 75:32 from 75:31 and not the 'wa' (and) in 75:31. This is why I humbly asserted a repetition in the overall context of the two verses.

You have very rightly cited 6:105 and 17:41 in support of the Quran's usage of multifarious explanation techniques to make the matter clear.

This point is even further ratified in 25:32 where the Quran uses the phrase 'ratalnahu tartila' to describe itself. This clearly denotes the well constructed action of putting together of component parts into one integral whole endowing the complete scripture with an 'airtight' inner consistency devoid of errors.

However, I personally feel that I have made use of the same methodology and have come to a differing conclusion. I am aware that these debates linking to an understanding of 'salah' are well exhausted on the [Name Removed] forums.

Finally, I am aware of both brother Ghulam Parvez's and my dear brother Dr. Shabbir's views on this matter. I respect them both in their own rights, as I do any great thinker or scholar (latter two terms are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

However, I also have my own views as much as you have yours based on our own studies.

With respect,

Your brother ...
George Orwell