Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Praying with Difficulty

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Praying with Difficulty
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph, As Salaam Alaikum

Please can you help me in the matter of prayer and what you would say is the lawful way to prayer. The common way that millions of Muslims pray is hard for me. Especially the sitting on the feet, because I was born with a form of joint disease which I found out while serving in the US Army. I also notice that the Buddhist and Jewish way of prayer is similar in form to the traditional Islamic prayer positions. I have several books on salaat and Sahih Bukhari 9 vol collection. I want to be a true Faithful Follower, and practice a True Belief.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Praying with Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
May peace be with you.

In my humble opinion, the religion of God was not revealed to cause difficulties for its adherents.

'wama ja'ala alaykum fi'dini min harajin' (and placed not upon you any difficulty in religion) 22:78.

The Quran does not prescribe a certain lawful way to pray. However today's tradition aptly captures the overarching guidance and spirit of the Quran's directives. It also captures the various aspects the Quran expects with regards establishing prayer. (qibla, wudu, bowing, prostrating etc)

If you feel difficulty praying on your feet due to your condition, I would respectfully recommend that you make use of a suitable aid such as a stool or a chair or pray in a manner that does not cause you discomfort. The purpose of the prayer is to remember and praise God with all one's heart, not to cause one physical pain.

Please see the following verse below. I am sure you will see how beautiful and understanding our Lord is and subsequently will also see the obvious wisdom in the verse and apply it to your situation.

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as BEST YOU CAN / WHAT YOU ARE ABLE (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

Your brother in faith,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell