Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Quran translation with multiple meanings side-by-side?

Offline Peaceful

• Choose the truth, even if it sounds bitter!
    • View Profile
Quran translation with multiple meanings side-by-side?
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
Salam All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Quran translation that has 2 or 3 meanings side-by-side, so that I get the full scope of A word without memorizing A concordance.

I'm not looking for a secondary meaning in the footnotes, but like right next to it in the translated text.

Example: Lord of the Alameen (Creatures / Worlds / Universe)

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
Re: Quran translation with multiple meanings side-by-side?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »
Peace Peaceful,

Islam awakened site lists several translations on the same page at least which is I'm sure easier than memorizing a concordance.

http://www.islamawakened.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9:quran-index-&catid=4:site&Itemid=2

In Turkish, Yasar Nuri Ozturk translates that way giving all possible meanings for a particular word separated by slashes and you choose the best meaning for that verse yet I find that method very confusing.  You lose the fluidity of the text; it becomes very fragmented.  Maybe it is just me because when I'm reading articles where there are too many PBUH's, I get easily distracted too.  I guess it would be OK for studying rather than just reading.

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »
w/salaam,

This is not exactly what you asked for, but along the same lines:

http://www.studyquran.co.uk/MSAhmed_Koran_translation.htm

Offline Peaceful

• Choose the truth, even if it sounds bitter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
Yes Muhammad Ahmed's translation is pretty good. Do you know of any other like his?

Jazakallah