Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Compulsion in Religion Contradiction?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Compulsion in Religion Contradiction?
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
Salamun Alaikum Brother Joseph,

Can you help me make sense of this?

If the Qur'an states that 'there is no compulsion in religion' then why does it say in 2:221 "...and give not your daughters in marriage to idolaters till they believe..." . This to me sounds like Allah is suggesting that fathers should force their daughters to not marry idol worshipers. But, if there is no compulsion in religion, a father can not tell her daughter who she is allowed to marry. This sounds like a contradiction. Please bare in mind, I am still just a beginner when it comes to analyzing the Qur'an. Your input is always greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Compulsion in Religion Contradiction?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »
May peace be with you.

There is no compulsion to 'believe' in the Quran's testimony that it is truth and 'submit' to its guidance and the religion of Islam. The Quran emphatically appeals to the Prophet that there is no compulsion in accepting this religion of truth. If one does so, they do so as a function of their own volition and not by force. [1] That is the essence of the sentiment which expresses that there is no compulsion in religion.

However, once one has believed in the Quran's veracity and submitted to its guidance as a ‘believer’, then one is expected to abide by it. If one decides not to, then the matter is between the individual and his Creator.

What I would struggle to accept is that if one wholeheartedly accepts the Quran as the word of the Almighty God of the Universe and calls themselves a 'believer', then why would one then not abide by His guidance?

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

REFERENCES:

[1]  FORCED FAITH IS NO FAITH
http://quransmessage.com/articles/forced%20faith%20is%20no%20faith%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell